Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not know if this has been posted before, but I'm looking into a turbine sprayer. TP tools has one as well as the Accuspray one. How are they as far as efficiency and the overall spray quality? I do not paint that often and think(hope) that this would be an option to spending a ton of money on conventional spray equipment that I wouldn't use that much. Any thoughts and input are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
It just so happens I was looking at those yesterday and thought they would make an excellent beginners gun. Affordable and rebuild kits are available at reasonable cost.

I don’t know how they spray overall; however, they should perform as well or maybe better than those in comparable price range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that upon thinking about I have another question. How well do they(turbine guns) break-up or atomize the the paint? I currently have a DeVillbiss Finish line gun and love it, but when spraying the modern high solids clears I get a sort of a lumpy look. I have noticed this effect on alot paint jobs, I mean they are beautiful jobs(cut and buffed) but in the right light or angle they show this lumpy effect. So just wondering is it the fact that they have a smaller needle and tip, or is it and air pressure thing?

·
Registered
468 Posts
As I stated, I don't really know anything other than what I've read.

Your Finish Line is an adequate performing gun for the money. When spraying modern clears you should be using a 1.5 tip. That is Devilbiss recommended choice for those fluid solids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TP Tools Turbines

I recently purchased a turbine system from TP Tools for all the reasons mentioned in the previous threads. CAUTION: The turbine generates heat that is incompatible with many brands of paint. My first project utilized DupliColors Paint Shop product. I soon learned after I applied the first base coat that something was very wrong. The paint appeared to be dry before it hit the surface. I placed a call to DupliColors customer service department and they informed me that I should not use a solvent based paint product with a turbine system. I then changed over to my standard compressor without any further issues. This week I statrted another project and intended to use Summit's 2K acrylic urethane base coat/clearcoat. I spoke with Summit's tech dept and they advised against using their product with a turbine. Summit referred me to their paint mfcr and they said the same thing. Don't use their product with a turbine. I then called TP Tools and they said go ahead and use the Summit product but use the fast (high temp) activator and hardner. I still have not decided which way to go but I am disappointed in what appears to be major paint compatabilty issues with the TP Turbine.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
440a-body said:
I guess that upon thinking about I have another question. How well do they(turbine guns) break-up or atomize the the paint? I currently have a DeVillbiss Finish line gun and love it, but when spraying the modern high solids clears I get a sort of a lumpy look. I have noticed this effect on alot paint jobs, I mean they are beautiful jobs(cut and buffed) but in the right light or angle they show this lumpy effect. So just wondering is it the fact that they have a smaller needle and tip, or is it and air pressure thing?
"Lumpy" or more known as orange peel is when your paint is sprayed dry, not enough pressure, fast reducer, etc. I usually thin clears more than recommended and I move fast, and usually don't have any runs at all. Clear lays out nice with slow reducer (lets molecules flow out thus reducing orange peel) You hardly have to cut/buff if you have it reduced/atomized just right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not orange peel, or a texture. The surface has been sanded with 1500, 2000, and finally 2500. Machine polished with 3M Prefect It III Compound, followed by 3M Finesse It, a swirl remover and then a final wipe down with 3M Imperial hand glaze. the surface is dead nuts flat, it's almost an effect within the clear, kinda like a cellulose appearance for lack of better description. I've talked to the place I bought the paint and materials from (been buy there for over 15 yrs), and they're telling me its the gun. They said use less psi, and narrow the pattern. DeVillbiss says for that clear use nothing more than a 1.5 tip which is what I use, but I'm still getting this effect. The material is PPG global clear. The reason for the original question is my this not the first time I've experienced this, I even borrowed a buddies 600 dollar Sata, and got the same thing. I recently spoke to a friend who tried a turbine and loved if, he paints maybe once every couple years. I saw it and it did not have this effect, and he to used PPG global clear. He also said he didn't have to sand with anything lower than 2000 and this car is fantastic. Painted it his garage too boot. So I just wondering if the turbines break up the paint or atomize better than a standard gravity fed gun. Sorry for this being so long just trying to see if a turbine set up is in my future.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It sounds as though your supplier was half right in his advise. Yes, lower your pressure to the gun. In addition, based on your description it sounds as if you are spraying holding the gun too far away from the surface when applying the clear.

Your gun should be set up to spray between 25-30psi with a 1.5 fluid tip. You should be holding your gun no further than 11 inches from the surface and you should be applying wet coats, not dry coats.

There's nothing wrong with your gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.