Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 84 GMC with a 305 and turbo 350C tranny. The transmission has a few issues and i am looking for help before going the rebuild route.
When starting off from a stop, it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, but then goes from 2nd to 3rd and back to second until it shifts to 3rd at normal speed (25 to 30mph). Also, when going down the road with the lockup engaged and i manually downshift it into 2nd, its like nothing is there. When i step on it, 2nd is there above 3500 rpm. Its like it has a stall converter for second gear only.
Fluid level is good. I put in a new vacuum modulator a few weeks ago with no change other than adjusting the sift pattern as its designed to do.
Any ideas?

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
White84GMC said:
I have a 84 GMC with a 305 and turbo 350C tranny. The transmission has a few issues and i am looking for help before going the rebuild route.
When starting off from a stop, it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, but then goes from 2nd to 3rd and back to second until it shifts to 3rd at normal speed (25 to 30mph). Also, when going down the road with the lockup engaged and i manually downshift it into 2nd, its like nothing is there. When i step on it, 2nd is there above 3500 rpm. Its like it has a stall converter for second gear only.
Fluid level is good. I put in a new vacuum modulator a few weeks ago with no change other than adjusting the sift pattern as its designed to do.
Any ideas?
with the gear shifter in m2, that is band apply, and if its not pulling right away,(hence your 3500 rpm) tells me either the band has broken, or at the minimun, not applying. you should have engine braking when in m2. if not the band is not applying.
how many miles are on the trans/vehicle? it seems that there is an internal issue on the 2-3, 3-2 then back to 3rd on the auto shift pattern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tnsmith10 said:
with the gear shifter in m2, that is band apply, and if its not pulling right away,(hence your 3500 rpm) tells me either the band has broken, or at the minimun, not applying. you should have engine braking when in m2. if not the band is not applying.
how many miles are on the trans/vehicle? it seems that there is an internal issue on the 2-3, 3-2 then back to 3rd on the auto shift pattern.
Thanks for the info tnsmith10. It does not have any engine braking at all. It acts like its in neutral when i put it into m2 when going down the road. The odometer shows 66k miles but i have no idea id that is 166, 266 etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.