Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whereabouts is the VIN on the transmission.. Read somewhere it is on the drivers' side above the pan.. Anyone know exactly where...?? There is no metal tag attached anywhere on the unit... Believe one of my prior buddies switched out his bad tranny for my excellent transmission without knowing or caring about a way of identifying the T400.. Even went so far as to pretend he had a fire in his shop with all the white extinguisher powder on the casing .. Funny how when things get a bit tight, the crooks come outta their holes..

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
who cares what it is if it fits and works ?

vin code is not on them except ;last few digits

look along pan rail and on sides of the belhousing flat spots
or on the tag on the side of the case

if not in any of these three places then its not on it at all

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info... Will check for a riveted tag and a partial VIN.. Trans is covered with grungy powder and grease from my bud who I am sure switched out my GOOD T400 transmission for this piece of crap in hopes I would believe his story of it being in a fire at his garage.. Trans is filthy and when turning the input shaft, it is very hard to turn in neutral and the thing now squeals, fittings are missing, and parts are also missing in the selector shaft and modulator area... That is why I want to narrow down the exact location of a VIN or partial VIN. I appreciate you "chiming in" and helping..
T.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi,
The Vin on a th400 is on a machined surface on the drivers side just above the pan.

Prior to 67, trans id #s contained plant prefix code, month & date of production, & shift code
(D=day N=night) from 67 on the ID contained the trans type or plant prefix, Date & shift code,
the constants in decoding the trans ID# are the date the trans was produced.

pre 67 C231N=Cleveland power glide, Feb 13 night shift

post 67 P9E03=P-type, 9-year (1969), E=month, 03=day of month

Month code (not in alphabetical order)
A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, E=May, H=Jun, K=Jul, M=Aug, P=Sept, R=Oct, S=Nov, T=Dec
Rich

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really checked numbers that I could see and they are: 02 XX on top of the transmission in large raised form.. Tailshaft housing has 8624486 and near that is a large C and CFD 1A close by.. There is a 3570375 or 3870375 on the psgr side of the trans. below where the hard lines are.. Below this number is General Motors Corp.. Speedo housing shows 40 41 42 43..
The 02 XX has to mean something maybe year??? Do any of the above make any sense to you "transmission guys"??? If the 02 means 2002, then, I been robbed by my Buddy!!! Again I appreciate the help and guidance...
T.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
The #'s you are looking for will not be cast into the case, they are stamped in using # stamps, and will usually be on a machined surface, but not always. The #'s you have listed are just casting and foundry #'s are are meaningless as a means of finding original application.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well now, that is not good news according to EricNova72, eh?? I will go over the beast once more with a can of brakecleaner, in hopes of spotting a machined surface (pad).. Gonna have to go to Small Claims Court on this matter as I am missing a whole lotta parts... Best thing is I have always since late '97 kept inventory listings of all me parts on diskette/now computer with hard copies showing location /date/ and part numbers with exactly what vehicle they came from e.g. carbs with appropriate Julian dates and line manufacturers etc etc etc - anything that would help identify the piece in a case such as what has happened.. No matter how many years you have friendships with people, get a paper or picture somehow of your stuff and if you sell something on time to a buddy, get a dual-SIGNED (note of sale) saying exactly what you have sold and when you want have to have $$$ in your hot l'il hands.. Gotta be specific or, all of a sudden, possibly you will end up with "nuttin'" and be forced into a legal situation... This is how problems arise when collecting on the debt owed to you.. Guess that is why there are different avenues for me to procede as I have already been agressed with a SnapOn 2 foot prybar, by me "Ole Bud", eh!!! Sorry 'bout the rant, but, the above is a real lesson in life that can be avoided with a paper of sale and hard payment date(s)...
Thanks gennamen for sticking with me in me quest for the transmission and VIN...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.