Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who has a 460 bbf that has been sitting in his dads garage for about ten years or so. I dont have the casting number right now but i believe it was from late 60s He wants to put a turbo on it :). So I have a few questions for you guys. How much power will the block handle? and how much power can the rotating assembly hold? This will be in an all out drag car. Depending on how much power the block can handle we might go all out with this build. Right now we are thinking put a turbo, cam and do a ton of work on the stock heads. Any suggestions thanks

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
When you say all out drag car, how fast are you thinking ET?? One persons all out can be someone elses idea of slow. Knowing the year and casting # can make a big difference on the heads, not so much on the block, and 429's and 460's look identical without the #'s. The 429 can be had in a 4-bolt main version(Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet) that is really tough, but really rare, the 460 is always 2-bolt. These are big beefy mains and bolts in either 2 or 4-bolt and can take pretty much the same abuse as a BBC 2-bolt.

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i talked to my friend and i guess he wants to do a street strip build instead. how much power can the block take. If the block can take 800hp or 1000hp we will build it so. The block casting is dove-a and the heads are dove-c. Are these any good?

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
The "d0" in d0ve is the date code for 1970. C is 60's, D is 70's, E is 80's in Fordspeak. So, d0ve is either a 1970 or 71 429 or 460, the same block was used for both, the next revision is d2ve. The only way to tell them apart is with the crank casting # or if the application sticker is still intact on the drivers valvecover. The block is good for 850-900 hp with main studs. As with all Fords, the max overbore is .030" unless you get it sonic checked. This is one of the best blocks you will find short of a CJ/SCJ 4-bolt block or a Motorsport block.

The d0ve-c (DOVE-C) heads are one of the most desirable standard 429-460 heads, only the big port CJ/SCJ heads are better. For comparison, these are like the large oval port BBC heads and the CJ/SCJ are like the rectangle port BBC. The d0ve heads have around a 75-78 cc chamber compared to '72-up which are 92 cc, which makes getting compression easy. Treat them to bigger valves, convert to adjustable valvetrain, and a port job with heavy emphasis on the terrible(like all Fords) exhaust port with the huge EGR bump to remove. They can get you to 650 hp NA, more with forced air.

Only other real problem is the stock rods because of the way they are broach cut for the head of the rod bolt makes that a weak spot, buy aftermarket if you can, the really good CJ/SCJ and Boss 429 factory stuff is rare and expensive. Stock rods and good bolts will handle 6300 rpm tho'.

This block and heads is an excellent starting place for a 514 stroker!! :evil:

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow ericnova thanks for all the info this is exactly what i needed. My friend is looking at around 900hp n/a so i don't think those stock heads will work. To help strengthen the bottom end what do you guys think about adding a main cap girdle and maybe some 4 bolt splayed caps if they can be found. I know the guys on horsepower tv built a 460 and used a main cap girdle. Any other ideas

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well for what it's worth here's my idea........tell your friend not to shoot for any specific HP rating. Build the engine with the parts you can afford and will still be fairly streetable......AND run on available gas.

A 900 HP n/a semi street motor is going to take a LOT of $$$$$ for a special VERY heavy duty forged reciprocating assembly and valve train pieces so it can breath AND stay together. Lower your expectations about 300 HP and enjoy the results.

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
I pretty much agree with 327NUT, 900 hp will take a boatload of $$$(10,000+) and won't be streetable NA except for 15 minute drives and showing off. I'm not much of a fan of girdles, they only help a tiny bit, they just keep the pieces all in one pile when the bottom blows out. Splayed 4-bolt caps is a vastly better improvement.

It's going to take all forged components, 13.5-1 comp ratio, solid roller cam, Aluminum heads with porting on both the heads and manifold, big headers(custom in most Ford chassis), along with a drivetrain to match($$$).

700-ish HP is much more doable and will scare the Sh** out of all but a drag- experienced driver. 700 hp will put a correct chassis in the mid nine second range 1/4 mile at 3000 lbs weight.

Build a 650-700 hp engine and spray it :evil:

·
Registered
96 Posts
the old 429 460 are good engines and have a lot of available parts. heres a whole new idea, TURBOS. A company called B and G custom turbos build these things all the time, I've seen there work, fabulous. your stock 429 460 can handle twin turbos with out a problem. andyou pay for them once and not going back to get NOS every week. a stock 429 460 can put 400 to 600 poneys to the ground and thats being light on the boost. also they are easily customized. call brian @ B and G custom turbos he'll point you in the proper direction .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.