Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
You do not need a turbo for 300hp. With the vortech heads and decent cam and intake you can make it. What year powerstroke? '03 and up are variable vane and are computer controled and wont work on your car. If it is off of the 7.3 I think it may be too big for your car. Since you only want 300 and still want a turbo I figure your looking for a turbo that will spool imediately. That trubo will probably start to boost at 3000rpm or later.

·
Registered
100 Posts
53belair said:
no i meant it'll have 300hp before a turbo

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calchpb.htm

i found that website from this site
it calculates how much power is given when you tell how much boost and how much power before the turbo
and at 300hp id probably run between 5-8lbs of boost

im gunna get a boost controller so i can control how much boost
That calculator is not accurate. There is no way that the baseline figures he listed will make that HP....too much energy lost in heat and friction to ever come close to 100% efficiency....try another from somewhere else.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I've always used the formula given by Blower Drive Service to determine CFM required, whether it be a blower or turbo, they both compress air. The formula is a little tricky until you use it a few times and get used to it.
(CID X RPM divided by 3456) X (BOOST divided by 14.7 + 1)
You have to treat this as two calculations. Take a 350 Chevy turning 6,000 and stuffing 8 lbs into it for example:
350 times 6,000 divided by 3456 = 607 CFM
8 divided by 14.7 = .54
Add a 1 in front of the .54 to reach 1.54
Multiply 1.54 times 607 and find that the cfm required will be 934 CFM.

Hope this helps.

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
go out and buy : TURBOCHARGERS by Hugh Maclnness, HP Books-49, ISBN 0-89586-135-6 everything you should know BEFORE you start is in that book, take your time to read it, it's worth it, I'm telling you amigo.
Augusto.

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Carbs are never ideal for boosted applications on a street driven vehicle. I don't care how many jets or bleeders you put in it a carb just can't be adjusted for the perfect AFR like injection.
A carb will work. No doubt there but don't plan on getting 20mpg or not having flat spots or rich spots in the fuel curve.
You can tune a carb to WOT with out much trouble and make close to the same HP as injection. It's everything in-between that's the problem.

With that being said... I'd recomend a turbo in the .62 to 66mm range Low .70's if you plan on making more power. That will support 600-700 hp. I'd use a GN style turbo as they are easy to find and not very expensive. You'd need a .85 A/R exhaust housing (3bolt or 4bolt) 4bolt flows a bit better.
You can pick a used GN turbo off turbobuick.com for around 3-600.00
You'll need a boost ready carb from Performance carbs (link in above post) or similar. A hat for the carb and alot of exhaust/intake/intercooling fabrication.

Everything I own is Turbocharged. You'll make over 500hp to the wheels with out much trouble and it won't be hurting the bottom end.
Tuning is going to be critical. You'll need a Wide band O2 to get that process started. And a lesson in tuning if your not sure where to be at.
Boost will be dependant on detonation and what fuel you run.

It'll be awsome when finished.. don't give up or be intimadated by the work. It will all pay off when it's setup right.
Good luck!!!
Scott~

·
Technical Support Barry Grant
1,500 Posts
You probably need to do a little more research before doing anything at this point…

Carburetor size will vary depending on if you’re going to set the turbo up as a “Draw Through” or “Blow Through” system.

Before you even get to there you need to see what you’re working with. If you have an engine that is producing 300 HP, even if everything is brand new you most likely will need to change the internal components to handle the additional stress of producing 450, 500, etc. The current internal components may be able to handle a slight increase in power, but you’re talking about a huge jump.

What engine is this you’re working on?
What components are in it?

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
yeah, the formula techinspector1 gave is actully a draw thru formula. draw thru setups ( both superchargers and turbochargers ) need a lot more CFM B/C there is a lot more volume to fill, and the way the fuel atomizes. Blow thru systems don't need that much extra.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.