Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here had a turbo headerfor a 2.3 L Ford motor. I've reciently decided boost is the thing to do. Also i'm looking for a turbo. Let me know if anyone has anything they would let go of.
Thanks,
Eric

·
BRB carring
522 Posts
they came in the t-bird, mercury cougar, svo mustang but the most common one and there are tonnes in junkyards around here, the car is called XR4TI made by Merkur, it came with a ford 2.3 turbo, easiest to find imo.

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
Your going to need more than the manifold and header. Every thing about the 2.3L turbo is different than the standard engine. Head is different, block is a high nickel (Brazilian) block machined differently for the turbo plumbing, pistons (dished for lower compression) rods, and others I cant think of right now. Best bet is the XR4TI or the 87/88 Tbird as a donor car.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
87/88 birds had the IHI turbo which is undesirable. 85/86 has the Garrett T3 which is much better. HX35's also work well for a little more punch.....like 11 sec. quarters.

Chris

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
Chris.... I thought the 87/88 was the more desirable set up because of the higher horsepower. I had an 86 bird and it just didn't have the power of my 86 or 89 XR4TI's. My XR4TI was a lighter more nimble car. Ran circles around the bird.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I am not sure about the Merkurs, but I am 100% sure about the birds. The t3 will make at least 50 HP more. It might be that the new smaller IHI turbo was maxed out and the older T3 took some tuning.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts