Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am doing a small turbo setup on my 64 nova with the factory 194 in it with 80,000 miles i have bought an intercooler (13.5"x11.5"), a manual boost controller , and a small turbo off of a 1992 eclipse (tdo5h) , it is water cooled and it is being shipped right now but i was thinking i would just have to splice into one of my heater hoses for that , and the oil line will come from my oil presure port( like were you would hook up an oil presure gauge and weld a fitting on my oil pan for it to drain back into? am i right so far or not and as far as i know the only other thing i will need is my piping for the inlet and exaughst and a blow off valve since it has a built in wastegate right. and the other thing is you hose that go's to my wastegate comes from the inlet pipe that has boost in it and my boost controller goes inline with that hose and and the hose going to my blowoff valve comes from my inlet pipe also that has boost in it. any help will be usefull, anybody got a blowoff valve for really cheap 0-15$ or know any good websites explaining all the things you need to do to turbo a car. thank you also does anyone know how much boost i could run with b7 octane 89 and 93 octane with 8.5 compression and an intercooler

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
I wouldn't want to turbo such an old engine without any other upgrades, your asking for trouble. For the dollars a SBC is a drop in and will be cheaper in the end even if you get the parts to do this "boost" for nearly nothing. Have you thought about carburation? How about the turbo plumbing and the extensive fabrication needed to fit all this to your existing configuration? How about cooling? How about value of the car after your done?Isn't a 250ci Chevy six a straight swap?

Some things are better left undone even if it is physically possible.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have to agree with chuck on the difficulty level of the project. But, none the less I think it would be cool. You should be able to get 300HP or so with that turbo and at fairly low boost. You can easily run 12psi boost on pump gas with no issues as long as CR is not above 8.5:1 and the tune is decent. With intercooling and good engine management you should be able to get 15-18, but you are risking problems in that range.

It sounds like you are on the right track to what you need. Like chuck pointed out, you need to think about carburetion and I would suggest a 2bbl Holley blow through configuration. A small Holley 4bbl like a 450cfm unit would also work well. I suggest holleys because of the easy of modification and tuning and blow through because that turbo is not designed for draw through.

The cooling lines you can do without on the turbo, but you have to make sure and let it cool down good before killing the engine. Coolant to the turbo is just a dummy proof.

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am aware of the complexity and i have done quite a bit of metal fabrication, i was wanting to try and run the factory carb and make it like what would have come factory on it with low boost so i wont tear up too much, i have heard that if you have a carb hood and not an inclosure that it can colapse the floats but i havent heard anything else, am i right about the oil lines and do i need anything else? i allready made a ram air system on it that has a hood on the carb i could use for the turbo setup , it is air tight , i have removed the choke ,tapped the hole s and put bolts in them so no presure can get out

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
turbo inline

If you are hard core on running an I-6, go find a good 292 truck Chevy 6 and with some minor mods on it, you can give the guys with small block V-8's a real fit and they will never figure out what you have. Im not a Chevy man but have had experience with warming up I-6's in past years. Food for thought, taking a 6 cylinder and an 8 cylinder engine of the same displacement and state of tune, the 6 pack will put out 35-40% more peak torque, and on the street, thats what you need, for the stop light grand prix. You will save yourself a lot of money going this route, and wind up with a lot more power, and a better engine to boot.

And there are parts available for the engine I mentioned.

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
I agree with the these guys. They have been around this board for enough time that they have earned my respect for what they have to say about this and other issues.
On the other hand, looking at your age, I would encourage you to go ahead with this project, because when you get done with this experiment you will have gained a wealth of experience and knowledge on engine and turbo charging systems that you will never get just reading and wondering if it would have worked. There is a lot if tech involved in making a turbocharged system work properly. If you are successful, you win. If it never runs right, don't be disappointed, you win. You have gained knowledge and a sense of accomplishment that will help you in all your future projects and endeavors. As a curious experimenter I have learned much more from my failures than from the successes.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Your oil line tap idea is good. I am doing the same thing on my turbocharged small block. You want to use a small line size around 1/8" or so to keep the engine from sending too much oil to the turbo. Too much oil can push oil past the turbos carbon seal and cause oil problems on the engine.

Your floats would have to be filled with foam to keep them from collapsing under boost one way or the other. I have heard of people drilling a tiny hole in the floats and filling with expanding foam and soldering the hole shut again.

You also have to have a way to raise fuel pressure as boost pressure rises or else fuel flow will stop when boost pressure equals fuel pressure. The most common way to do this is with a rising rate FPR like the Mallory 4309 and a high pressure pump like the Mallory FI110. I have seen some mods to the manual fuel pump, but I dont know how well it works. The idea on that is to plumb bonnet pressure to the vent on the fuel pump so that it is referencing the same pressure as the carb.

As for the bonnet or enclosure question, either will work. The problem with a bonnet is that some carbs do not handle the pressure difference between atmosphere and boost. I have heard some can leak or blow gaskets, but the Holleys have been proven to not do this. That is why I suggested it. If yo go with an enclosure all you have to do is upgrade the floats and the gasket situation is a non issue. The problem with an enclosure is figuring out how to seal around the fuel lines, linkage, etc.

I have been through all of this stuff, so ask me any questions you come up with and I can probably help you through it.

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i have been researching in-line sixes for a long time and at one time was going to build a 292 , i have headers for them and Clifford intake distributors and things but i changed to using a 350 because it was cheaper and i was only 16 the reason i am going to run a 194 is because i want good gas mileage , it is my daily driver .

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Mileage? Say what? What do you expect from your six? 30MPG? I can tell ya dude, it ain't happening. If you want mileage get a late model four cylinder. You would be lucky to get 22-25mpg, about the same as a late model V8 truck. Were talking 1964 technology here man.

Sorry if I burst the bubble.:(

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
I couldn't get any decent mileage out of my 2.3L turbos (XR4TI and a Tbird turbo coupe) cuz there were just too much fun to drive! Couldn't keep my foot out the throttle. Love the sound of the turbo spooling up. I'm going to use my other 2.3 turbo in my Morris Minor leaving it all factory stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i just know that a 194 is going to get better gas milage than a 292 and i know if i was going to do that i couldn't keep from building it like crazy and then i would have 2 fast novas that both suck to daily drive

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
Re: turbo inline

Max Keith said:
If you are hard core on running an I-6, go find a good 292 truck Chevy 6 and with some minor mods on it, you can give the guys with small block V-8's a real fit and they will never figure out what you have. Im not a Chevy man but have had experience with warming up I-6's in past years. Food for thought, taking a 6 cylinder and an 8 cylinder engine of the same displacement and state of tune, the 6 pack will put out 35-40% more peak torque, and on the street, thats what you need, for the stop light grand prix. You will save yourself a lot of money going this route, and wind up with a lot more power, and a better engine to boot.

And there are parts available for the engine I mentioned.

What mods are you speaking of. I have a '79 250ci and think I might do the same with it. I asked a question about two months ago and got two responses but nothing definitive so let me try again. I would like to install a Serpentine belt system on it but can't seem to find any info that would help me with the project. I did not ask about the possibility that a sbc might work. Today I just stood in front of the engine and stared and day dreamed and this thought popped into my mind sooooo, Could it, would it, aint it gonna, if I tried it would it work for me. The song sounds a lot better.

Al

BTW this engine is out of a Silverado so it has a split exaust that I plan to use twin Flo-masters on. This will be installed into my '48 Chevy Fleetline.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
trubo inline 6

Clifford, a well known manufacturer of Inline 6 goodies, has a web site, cliffordperformance.com , which in my opinion is the best place in the world to go for what you are looking for. Hes been at it for over 40 yrs. that I know of. He developes all his own stuff, headers, intakes, cams, etc.
Were I wanting to build a real sleeper, I would go with a 4bbl intake, with a 390 Holley 4 bbl, which is plenty of carboration for an engine that size, a good porting and valve job, run about 9.5:1 compression, and a good, free flowing exhaust system, and some slightly higher pressure valve springs. That would be the first move, and if I could afford it, would put in a cam, maybe 10-15 degrees larger than stock.

He has just about everything for most all of the popular inline 6 american engines built, and the 250 is definately in that bracket.
Check out his site.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.