Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turbo lag, its a major problem for people with single turbos. Twin turbos eliminate a bit of the lag, but its still there. You could just keep adding turbo on turbo, but that would be silly. What do you think of a compressed air bottle that when you step on the gas, it slams air against the turbine, making it spin at the same rate that it would with higher rpm exhaust gases. there would be a built in compresser that is run off of the power that is generated during breaking. What do you thk,eh?:sweat:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
That will never work. All that is needed is an ALS routine on the EFI system. It will generate the needed heat to spool the turbo, but the headers need to be tough to tolerate the combustion in them.

And BTW, lag is not a huge problem for everyone with a single turbo. It is not a problem for me.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi everyone alow me to introduce myself for a bit im ronald bakker from the netherlands europe and looking intoo running my own twin turboed chevy pickup

back to the subject now : a while back ive seen a youtube clip of an english hillclimbracer that used a small jethelicopter(starter?)engine to presurize a mostly stock cossworth ford 4 cylinder bottomend and a special head with bronze valveseats and some other things done to it
it ran quite a lot of pressure no matter the engine rpm and whent of the line like stink
starting it was a science since a lot of stuff to run the jet was powered by the 4 cylinder and the jet needed auxillery compressed air to spool up , it sounded like nuttin else i seen before

it might be extreme but my thinking is it should be possible to hook a modelplane jetengine to the turbine side of a turbo and run with it

http://jalopnik.com/5098871/manic-b...ered-turbocharger-18+second-0+to+60-ford-puma

·
FrankenPorsche
459 Posts
Cool video. What's up with the second female commentator? WOW, only in Britain could someone that overdrawn in the looks department get on TV. I didn't know they had mullets in GB. :D

As for the turbo, BMW uses a small turbo and large turbo set up. Works well at just about eliminating lag.

I have also seen several ricers use N2O on a reverse ramp controller. Backs out the N2O as the turbo spools up. Keeps the N2O at a low 25-50 shot once turbo is cooking to help keep things cooled down at high boost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.