Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fiberfab parts hunter
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 4 cylinder corvair engine - stop laughing, please - now the question is this - which block is strongest and should i use a four carb set up or turbo?
I will be using this in my GT fiberfab (GT 40 knock off) - it has a full corvair front and rear suspension. - mainly street use but i would like some jump in the pump :)

I also have one two speed powerglide and a stick 4 speed.

Stop laughing - now give me some good advise and remember i has champagne taste and soda pop finances. - Thanks:pimp:

·
Fiberfab parts hunter
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am building a 6 cylinder corvair engine - stop laughing, please - now the question is this - which block is strongest and should i use a four carb set up or turbo?
I will be using this in my GT fiberfab (GT 40 knock off) - it has a full corvair front and rear suspension. - mainly street use but i would like some jump in the pump :)

I also have one two speed powerglide and a stick 4 speed.

Stop laughing - now give me some good advise and remember i has champagne taste and soda pop finances. - Thanks:pimp:
Yes its a six cylinder - 4 carb manifold and I also have a turbo set up!
Part of my concern is sence there are different HP blocks - which would be best choice as I have access to most!

·
More machine than man
851 Posts
If you want more power then turbo is the way to go.

Adding more carbs isn't really going to net you more power. It will increase the CFM delivery capacity, and probably hurt low end torque in the process. 4 carbs also means 4x the fun of linkage and tuning and synchronizing.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Corvair power

I have had 2 corvair dune buggies, On the last one I built a spider leg manifold to the 4 intake ports and ran a single 500cfm holley 2 barrel truck carb, A good friend had 3 corvairs at one time and the fastest one had a Paxton supercharger, It was faster than the turbo one. A Paxton has a 2 speed drive system, lots of boost and torque at lower RPM. then as engine RPM increased the blower shifts down so you don't over boost. to run the paxton you have to take off the oil filter casting, machine it and add threaded ports for rubber hoses and mount a remote oil filter.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,078 Posts
The stock Corvair turbo setup is not the best design. Chevy didn't want to use a wastegate and instead limited boost by restricting the inlet flow rate. A turbo WILL make more power IF you build a custom setup with modern technology. The factory turbo setup should be left to the restorers.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
If you really want to have a great street engine you're going to need to fabricate a custom turbo system including a custom turbo header, properly sized modern turbo, and a custom intake (carb or efi though I'd definitely prefer efi). If you have the time and can weld you can build the whole turbo system for less than two grand. There will be no comparison in power or streetability.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
If you want power and a boxer engine,consider a subaru. They are cheap and make good power with lots of after market goodies. If you have to have a corvair engine then use an after market turbo and consider an after market efi.. also look at the kit built airplane forums for upgraded equipment for the corvair engine. There parts are all about reliability,not as much about power.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you want power and a boxer engine,consider a subaru. They are cheap and make good power with lots of after market goodies. If you have to have a corvair engine then use an after market turbo and consider an after market efi.. also look at the kit built airplane forums for upgraded equipment for the corvair engine. There parts are all about reliability,not as much about power.
My son has a new (last week) Subaru WRX STI. It will really scat. I can just imagine that in a GT-40 replica! Wow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.