Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if its possible to put fuel through a turbo? I was curious because I was wanting to do a carb setup and pull the air through the carb into the turbo and back into the engine because setting up a blow through carb is quite expensive.

Thanks for the advice,

Ryan

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, it can be done. Many of the early turbo cars used this setup (GN's for instance). It will require a turbo with a positive seal on the compressor side, otherwise it will pull oil into the intake stream. You don't want that. Also, you cannot run an intercooler with a draw-through setup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do these style setups run a blow off valve? I was talking with a friend and we came to the conclusion that one wouldn't be necesary.. I was also wondering that since you couldn't do an intercooler that if you could run water/alcohol injection?

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

·
Registered
161 Posts
A blow of valve would be a bad idea! You would be spraying an air/gasoline mixture. You won't need one since the carburetor shuts off air to the turbo when the throttle is closed. Water/Alcohol injection would work fine with this setup, and would work best if injected after the carburetor and and turbo. The extra water, plus fuel would not be good to send through the compressor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anyway to tell if a turbo has the proper seal from the outside? or is there a list that you know of anywhere?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Most turbos do not have the seals required for draw through. You dont have to have a BOV since you are closing the throttle blades upstream of the compressor where there is no boost pressure. Blow through carbs are not expensive at all to setup. It just takes a few dallars in parts and some time. There are several sites on the net that can show you how to do it. www.hanger18fabrication.com is one that I know of off the top of my head. Water injection would be a good alternative to intercooling, but unless you are planning on running alot of boost it would not be abslutely necessary.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can not get to the hanger18 linked above. I was wondering if you had any other references? I am looking to get this done quite cheap with parts that I already have. I only want a twin turbo setup on a small block chevy because its going into a street rod and it will be exposed. Performance is not really that big of an issue... I am just hoping for some drivability and I do not have the money for fuel injection.

Thanks again,

Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
check out www.turbomustangs.com they have a whole forum dedicated to turbocharging carburators. From what I've read, you are going to need a double pumper no matter what. There is a thread that steps you through modifying a holley for this application but you can use that info on whatever you want. Then you just need to have a bonnet that seals and you are done. The turbomustang guys are always super helpfull.
-Tom

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow, now that's awesome. What are the tubes running from the valve covers to the manifolds? Some kind of PCV system? I don't have clue.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I believe you are seeing the wastegates. He is running two 35mm(I think) tial units, one for each turbo. The are not attatched to the valvecovers, just close to them.

BTW, I think that the carb mod stuff is in the tech section of the sw racing part of the site.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts