Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
always a tossup

I keep having mini-debates with my friends who are all turbo guys.

To be fair, the old style blower is alot of fun and sounds great. When you combine it with a set of good headers and the proper build you'll get lots of power.

The Turbo's are a little harder to get right. The size, wastegate, intercooler, all have to be considered. On balance, if you are going strictly for max hp a matched pair of smaller turbos, one for each bank, will likely give you the biggest bang, but the most technical headaches and most expense to get there.

I'd look up some info on Banks and some of the other turbo guys and figure out if you want to do some computer work, or if you want to stay mostly mechanical.

Hope that helps.

Arn

·
Banned
204 Posts
I just went thru the same battle myself, and settled on a supercharger. I think the turbos offer more high end HP and they are very much more involved. You have the sizing, housings, coolers, piping, and several other things I forgot to mention to consider and build. I think the turbos would be for me...they are definitely more of a challenge, which is what I always like. But, I did not have the room for the turbos on my project, so I went with the blower.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if turbos are for ricers than who drives a chevy corviar they came with turbos how about the fact that most domestic manufacters toyed with or built turbo charged cars almost since they were first created how about turbo diesels rice? think not aside from that both can have there headaches turbos have problems with side clearance from the block with can be easily fixed by going rear mount or creating custom exhaust manfiolds to bring it to the front sides of the block the most room seems to be there supercharger selection seems to be just has difficult doing it on ur own contacting a company will get u the right info faster superchargers depending on size also may have hood clearance issues if running roots style depending on alot of varibles like hood clearance in the first place carb and air cleaner height and height of supercharger. centrifugal seems to be a pain too considering in some applications removing and modifying some acceriery brackets.
both have the same advantages and disadvanteges like large single turbo set ups have a lag problem unless u go smaller to match but in that case running two turbos is just has good there u have options like running differant size turbos to attain boost at certian rpm's such blowers dont have that opition superchargers also draw power to get power turbos get almost free power by running of the exhaust. id go turbo but thats just cause im a ricer with a couple hotrods i guess that and i had less problems doing it myself. btw go 16g mitsu turbo from like hahn racecraft theyll get u the right compressor wheel sizes and get u in the right direction

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
I love the way turbos sound under boost. Plus you cant raise the boost on a supercharger as easy as a turbo. You turn a knob or press a button, dump some race fuel , then have some real fun. A roots blower will make almost instant boost and gobs of torque but I love the way it feels when a big turbo kicks in and just pins you back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
well thats good has for me once i finish my project that i was going to use to sell anyway a 72 grandville im going to find some dummy selly a 70's challenger for dirt cheap and drop in my 318 twin turbo:) still in the works but 2 16g turbos should give me plenty of boost with the block that only runs 8.1 comp anyway and some swirl port heads ill be flying in no time just gotta decide auto or manual when the time comes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.