Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to scrounge a pair of turbos for my 302 out of the junkyard, building the 302 as practice for the 4.6 I hope to build. What production turbo cars had decent size turbos?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you were to find a shelby daytona,a t bird turbo coupe,grand national all of those have pretty decent turbos to begin with.In the near future i plan on turbo charging my dads k car with the urbo out of my 86 shelby daytona.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Newport is right, but the chances of finding say, a grand national in a junkyard....pretty slim. If you are gonna put dual turbos on it, check out some Audis, Volvos, and some mid 80s chrysler sedans. They are usually overlooked.
Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
First of all for performance and price you are better off sticking with the 302. and fitting a 302 with used turbos is not even somthing you have to invent all your self, Try this link out:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/windsor_302/TurboPartslist.html" target="_blank">web page</a>

This guy have built 302's with upwards of 5-600hp, with 450$ worth of parts, add bigger mass MAF, B303 cam and an intake and your dooing 10.5 sec ET's with less than 1000$ invested

and whats best about this page is that there is an online calculator for determining the compressor trim and A/R ratio for the engine your building, plus a list of what donor cars to take them from.

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Boost won't hurt the rods or the crank but RPM sure will, keep it under 6000 and you should be just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
for what o know stock rods and cranks are good for atleast 500 horses, just keep the revs below 6 grand, infact if i know of 5.0,s doing 10.00 et,s with stock shortblocks and AOD trannies, but they dont last forever. My Recomendation would be to put a set of HiPo 289, heads or the 5.0 heads of an explorer, they flow decently. then mount two turbos from a firebird turbo, (T03 A/R .63) and keep the boost below 14PSI and revs below 6G and you'll be doing high 11,s and that on an investment of under 1000$

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That ought to do it... I just want to beat a friend of mine that has close to 40 Gs sunk into a 12 second import...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can i get away with a carb or am i gonna have to inject this thing... Ive got a set of 5.0 heads from a 82-84 stang that has about 500 bucks worth of porting.... I dont know all the details, but they should do...

·
At a loss for words
364 Posts
You should be okay with a carb. Just be sure that it is a big enough one and is up to the challenge that the twin turbo will give it.
Good luck on your project. Keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just wanted to set something strait. 289 hipo heads are too often thought of as a bigger head than the regular 289 head. As a matter of fact, the 289 hipo head is the EXACT same except it has valve spring seats so its more stable for high RPMs. They actually have IDENTICAL ports and valves.

·
Registered
313 Posts
JdOwNj,
Like someone else already said, make sure to get a big enough carb. You can alway go down in jet size, but you want to be able to flow as much air as possible. I use a 725 cfm on my supercharged 289, I had to do a lot of tuning to get it right, but it runs good. I would suggest a new Carter AFB or an Edelbrock (the only difference is about $80), they are easy to make work on pressurized motors. Also, if you have enough hood clearence (or don't mind putting in a scoop) then I would suggest a draw-through system as opposed to a blow-through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First of all we agree that the heads are the same, HOWEVER the old style (pre emisions) 289 heads do not have the flow impeeding bump in the exhaust, making them better for turbocharging. but if you have a set of ported 5.0,s you are propably much better off using them. Just make sure that the exhaust seats are wide enough as they run rather hot on a turbo car.

With regards to a carburator id advice against it, atleast go with a blowthrough setup.. this will enable you to run an intercooler, (something home made from the local Semi junk yard is arround 100$) but a complete injection setup from a wrecked 5.0 should not set you back to much cash.

again good luck with the project

Here is a couple of home pages of some guys that have done the same thing on some 5.0's

<a href="http://www.sn95.com/projects/turbo/part1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.sn95.com/projects/turbo/part1.htm</a>
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/windsor_302/" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/windsor_302/</a>

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where was the Garret T3 installed stock, so that i might find two without breaking the bank? That 450+ hp from an otherwise stock 302 looks pretty cool! Im thinking 8-12 lbs boost...

·
At a loss for words
364 Posts
Everyone can debate and debate, but if you are comfortable running a carb, I'd say go for that rather than try to set up an EFI system. A well tuned and maintained carb can be almost as good as an EFI system (probably without the mileage though). Carbs have less that can go wrong with them than all the different sensors on EFI engines.
If you can find a decent one on a junkyard 5.0, snag it, but just make sure all the components are good. You could end up spending a fortune getting it to work where a brand new carb would simply set you back a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
454Deuce does have a point, if you want to use an intercooler, do go with a fuel injected blowthrough system. Other wise, go with a drawthrough system with a carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here but I thought I would add my .02 cents worth to this older subject.

I have successfully built a twin turbo 5.0 mustang using T-Bird turbos from junk yards and a blowthrough type setup on a Holley 600 double pumper carb. I also have a ford powerstroke intercooler. It all works great. I have since sold parts of that and made it a single turbo setup now to try something different. So far I have a best of a 10.70 1/4 mile pass in it!

take a look at my web page I built for the car here
<a href="http://turbostang.tripod.com" target="_blank">Todd's Turbo Mustang Site</a>
If you can get on it - seems that I get a ton of people looking at it and it is shut down sometimes bacause of excessive traffic.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx man.... Im doing this on my country squire as a proof of concept test, ultimatly turbos are gonna replace nitrous on my 84 stang with a 460... the wagon just made a turbo pass of 13.2 by the gtech.... we dont have a 1/4 track in maine...

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Originally posted by Turbostang_Todd:
<strong>SWEET!!!

I have since gone a 10.69 at 128 MPH in the 1/4 mile with mine. Man this is fun!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Todd,

Didnt think Id run into another jyt member hear. I am a couple months out on completion still.

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts