Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently watched monster garage and it said by turning the carburetor 180 degrees it gives 50 more horsepower is that true ??

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
nomames said:
I recently watched monster garage and it said by turning the carburetor 180 degrees it gives 50 more horsepower is that true ??

:welcome: welcome to the site :welcome:

That would be a very very unusual situation. Not likely in the real world of hotrodding.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
nomames said:
I think if that were the case then everybody would be doing it.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
I also think that if this were true then by now some carb company would be making a carb with primaries in the rear as if it were turned 180*

Plus turning it around would be a throttle linkage nightmare

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
jimfulco said:
Maybe they already did it and we're all going faster than we thought???
Are you saying many moons ago carburetors were actually backward from how they are currently positioned, and that by doing so the backward carburetor actually became the forward facing carburetors we know today?

Hmmm, maybe I should try mounting mine upside down???... :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
nomames said:
kuhn-77 said:
thats sounds bogus to me........i could be wrong though
Ayuh,.......

It's Monster Garage that's Bogus,....... Atleast the 1 or 2 shows that I suffered thru.........

Pure Bull*****.........

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
Well, it MIGHT be possible with a particular carb in a particular situation/application, but in general, NO. The only thing I can think of is the carb has the float on one end/side and they are using it on a drag car. In that case the acceleration can slosh the gas in the bowl enough to cause problems, so reversing the carb might help increase power, but only on hard acceleration. a different model carb in different circumstances wouldn't be affected though. You can't take things out of context -- something that works in one specific situation/combination might actually make things worse in another.

Maybe that's what makes Holley 4V carbs so hot -- they have jets and floats on BOTH ends... ;)

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
carb

nomames said:

That old trick?????..... It only works on a reverse rotation engine!!!!!

Keith

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Only on cars where the transmission is in front of the bumper though.

You can get adjustable carb adaptors with oblong mounting holes to slide the carb fore and aft for fule dist. increases. Or decreases...........

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
In the late 70's the HOT TRICK was to mount your holley sideways. Like the carbs on a tunnel ram. Everybody that did that had to convert from mechanical linkage to a cable.

This worked OK on some race ONLY cars with SINGLE plane manifolds. On a dual plane the was some RICH cylinders and some LEAN cylinders.

If you look at some ford 2x4 tunnel port setups, they were mounted primaries facing the rear.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
larryblack said:
In the late 70's the HOT TRICK was to mount your holley sideways. Like the carbs on a tunnel ram. Everybody that did that had to convert from mechanical linkage to a cable.

This worked OK on some race ONLY cars with SINGLE plane manifolds. On a dual plane the was some RICH cylinders and some LEAN cylinders.

If you look at some ford 2x4 tunnel port setups, they were mounted primaries facing the rear.

I am not sure it was "a trick". The fact is that the dual quad Holleys were so long that they hit together if mounted long ways, so they had to be turned sideways to clear. Some people perceived this as "trick" and tried it with single 4 bbl set ups on single plane intakes.

Any dual plane intake requires a "mechanical double pumper" for sideways mounting. All barrels must open simultaneously and equally.

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
I used the term "TRICK" as back in the 70's it was the popular term for the latest method of gaining additional performance.

The term came from the early days as everybody had some kind of "TRICK" method of beating every body else.

Only the center hung float bowls are too long to be mounted front to back. Many the 660 center shooter were mounted front to back. Turning carbs sidewise even had MOROSO making the adaptor to mount them. Suppliers jumped to provide the bestest parts to sideways mount them. I worked part time in a speed shop in San Diego and the store manager did this to his nova. he had the time slips to establish if it worked. Seems to have spent a few $$ and all he got was a "couple of hundreths" from his effort. I remember helping him tune it at Carlsbad. Some folks claimed it worked best primary to the pass side and others claimed primary on the drivers side. Some tunnel rams with the side mounted carbs had one facing each way. The linkage was fun to adjust.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Come to think of it I had Chevy six that had a sideways mounted 4G, and you know that old 292 ran like a champ. Might be something to this after all. :D

·
Violating consensual reality
365 Posts
That's what I was thinking. An inline engine. Having not seen the show I don't know for sure what they tested this on.

Strummin

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Then there was the Pontiac fuel economy experiment from the late '60s where they mounted a square-bore carb sideways on a dual-plane manifold and made a progressive engine. It ran on cylinders 1-4-6-7 on the primaries only, and on all 8 when the secondaries opened. It was killed by smog regs, so they say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts