Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to rewire my 63 Chevy C-10 using a painless harness, I have everything almost complete but I'm having an issue with the turn signals. everthing seems to work correctly except when i turn on the ignition both tail lights blink constantly? I have replaced the turn signal switch with an original style switch, brake lights work with the key off, but I still have no turn signals, I have ran separate ground wires to both rear lights. It has me stumped? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/turn-signal-wiring.jpg

thats how they work, but im still trying to understand what the problem is.

when you turn on the ignition both tailights blink, is this the brake lights? I just looked at what the tail lights look like on your year truck and it looks to me its pretty small but either way there should be two bulbs in that assembly.
one bulb for turn signal
and one with a dual filament, there will be three inputs on the bulb two + and one ground. The less bright + input should be hooked up to the running lights and the other + to the brake lights

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no there is only one bulb in each tailight assembly, a dual filament bulb an 1157. It isnt the brake lights they work with the ignition off. I hear the turn signal flasher clicking on and off but the turn signal switch is'nt being moved in either direction and the front turn signals don't do anything. no matter which direction I move the indicator everything stays in this state both tail lights blink constantly and the front turn signals do nothing? thanks for the reply though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
on chevys,, left -right - and stop lites are same ,, high side of 1157 bulb.. it all works thru turn signal switchplate..sounds like you are crossed -up there..try unhooking wires at stoplite switch and check..sounds like brake lites are flashing,, because it's only rears.. are you crossed up at emergency flasher switch?? 1 or 2 flasher relays??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theres only 2 wires coming from each tail light. but it's possible that i have them crossed? It has 2 flashers in the new fuse panel 1 for the hazard and 1 for the turn signals. The truck didnt have a flasher switch when I started, I'm now thinking of adding one in hopes to help solve my problem? But the flashing is coming from the turn signal flasher? I know the two are linked together but I'm not sure how? This is my first time trying this. Thanks for all the input anything helps.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Go to this site http://www.oldengine.org
click on the unFAC pages
then click on rear dual lites.
Digest that info and shoot.
Click on schematics and print out them. . to use beside u as u troubleshoot. U may need a voltmeter or at least a pigtail and bulb as a tester.
From what I know I can say that both rear brake lights are connected together at thecolumn switch so when u step on the brake they both light. I determine that u have a flasher feed to thes circuit that doesn't belong. May be the brake feed and flasher from turn or hazard are crossed. Best way to shoot is to unhook all and start hooking back up oione system at a time and make it work before moving on. Good luck and let us know how it is going. Bob :welcome:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.