Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This show is fairly entertaining. But those two brothers "Twin turbo guys" Seem to me to be a little lacking in the knowledge area. I saw a ton of mistakes on the show that they were making. Im not perfect either but im not hosting a show. Just wondering if anyone else notices.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I've caught parts of a couple of their shows.

What a waste of time. I expected some tech tips...wrong.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
I enjoy the show alot. What are some of the mistakes made by the hosts? I really like the history on the cars and the drag racing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I only watched the ElCamino Ranchero one. I was a little surprised they had to fumble around so much just to get a distributor in right, and the open rear end in the Ford made the whole thing a lopsided farce at the track. I'm guessing they had made several runs off camera first and had the Chevy back pedal in the first race to make it more interesting.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Pretty sad when the GN's ran slower after they worked on them than they did off the floor.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Still is isn't a bad format so maybe they will get things together. At least they aren't using drama to get people interested, and don't have some dipwad screaming anouncer like Monster Garage.
And in all reality the guys are kind of representative of the hobby. Half the guys I know who mess with cars can't stab a distributor and probably half the stuff they attempt to do makes the car slower.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Too bad the Ranchero was at a disadvantage from the start due to the open rear. To be fair they both should have had limited slip and similar gear ratios. The choice of a 1600 stall torque converter for the Ford was a boneheaded move too. I'm sure the crate motor had a hotter than stock cam, if the converter doesn't match the cam it's gonna be a dog out of the hole. It showed too, the El Camino looked like it had much better 60'.

I don't know about you guys but I certainly don't consider a Ranchero to be a Musclecar...

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
RCastle said:
Pretty sad when the GN's ran slower after they worked on them than they did off the floor.
I didn't see that episode. I'm sure it was a good lesson for people not experienced enough who think they can just throw something on their car and think it's going whoop the competition.

I really want to see the 240Z episode. I'm planning on getting another first generation Z and put the LT1 motor from my Blazer in it. 350hp!!! BABY!! WhooHoo!

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
It was the only one I caught.I saw a glimpse of a GN and stopped surfing.The guys broke a plug off trying to remove it and were just befuddled on how it happened.They threw on a bigger turbo and intake piping on a tired engine and threw on a new intercooler.No injector changes,no proper tune up,nothing more.One of them would not even start at the strip.I know these shows are made on a time frame.But it is about as ridiculous to me as watching one of those reality shows on Fox.I have a good idea for one but I figured I'll list my idea on E-bay.If someone will pay big $$$$$$$ for a "spirit stick" or that dumb *** grilled cheese sandwich,then I can make my fortune there too.

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
That should would benefit from the help of experts, Just like Monster Garage always has an "expert" on the thier build teams. The El Cmaino-Ranchero show should have had and "elcamino" expert and a "ranchero" expert... Those two brothers are lyounger than I am, and they maybe be "knowledgable" bu they are no experts they probably have more NOPI girl phonenumbers than they do Knowledge. They are better hosts than some, but they have a really "DANGEROUS" do what it takes to get it done attitude, and someone at home is gonna imitate what they see and get hurt. you watch shows like "Classic Car Restoration" and these guys are wearing rubber gloves and goggles!!! It just shows you that the "pressure cooker" format is not good, and it would be a better show if the teams were given more time to make the mods...

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
And some of those ricers will kick domestic butt with less cubic inches and out handle practically all of them.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
You Speak With A Wicked Tounge

Blesphemy

Punisment of three weeks driving a Civic with a picnic table wing,ground effects and loud fart can on rear.

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about that 240 Z car race!! New Intake new holley dp, header and big cam, MSD. Ran a whopping 22.4 in the qtr. WOW I think a Geo Metro will beat that time I really do!

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
the 240Z episode was kinda cool, except for the lousy quarter mile times. The final run netted a 17.7? quarter mile for the winning Z. My 91 Sentra SE-R does 2 seconds better at 15.8 and it's stock!

I had a 73 240Z automatic. The car wasn't that fast but it did handle better than most new sports cars thanks to the 50/50 weight distribution and adjustable tokico shocks and springs. I downloaded a video of a 240Z beating a Z06 Corvette at the track. Not bad for a 30+ year old classic.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I caught the 240Z one last night and I really enjoyed the history of the car stuff.
Now I have never changed valvesprings on one of those but why wouldn't you pull the cam out of the way first?
I remember those cars rusting real bad on salted roads I saw one practically disintigrate when it was put on a post lift.
It was hard to even find a place to jack one up.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
I would have to physically lift up the front end to get the jack under the front crossmember. It was a money pit but I enjoyed the car so much i didn't care. I use to drift in my 240Z way before it became popular among the import crowd. Here in California I can still find them in the classified ads.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Re: You Speak With A Wicked Tounge

RCastle said:

You Speak With A Wicked Tounge

Blesphemy

Punisment of three weeks driving a Civic with a picnic table wing,ground effects and loud fart can on rear.

aHaHaHa, Ron that literally made me laugh out loud.

4x4Blazer does make a good point about their handling abilities though. But hey, who cares how fast they go through turns, it's the strait line stuff that matters. Right?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts