Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my long tube headers and the driver's side collector is pointing outboard by about 2". I'm thinking there should be enough "give" in the tubes to pull it back to where it belongs. Making the adjustment in the exhaust pipes won't work because there's a radiused clearance in the trans mount for the pipes to pass under and it needs to go through there. Anyone tweak their headers like this?

·
Registered
14,588 Posts
About the only way I see around downstream gasket problems at the head from the stress moment in those tubes would be to fixture the header then bend it a little then heat the tubes with a torch, repeat a few times till you get the needed bend. This will reduce them from always wanting to spring back to their original alignment.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,462 Posts
I was planning to exceed the yield point.
They bend a lot harder than you may think. I've tried pushing a collector over on the same car as you, '67 Fairlane w/'69 4V 351W and C-6 trans, passenger side collector pointed outward just a hair.
Hedman headers, IIRC.

First we tried a Porta-Power duckbill attachment between the frame rail and the collector, push it over 3" or so until it touched the trans bellhousing and even with heat on all four tubes near the collector it would not give and would spring right back when released.

Ended up putting a 6' length of 2" well pipe in the collector, heating the hell out of the 4 tubes with a acetylene torch about 5" forward of the collector, wood block between the front of the collector where the tubes are welded in and the trans case(C-6), and a guy on the end of the 6' pipe under the rear of the car to pry it all over.. Still, it wrinkled the two inboard tubes a bit

Smarter way might have been to bolt the header to a scrap head bolted to a big solid bench, heat it, and pull it against the bench legs with a come-a-long, probably with heat in half a dozen different places.... or just saw through the collector 7/8 of the way across about 1" forward of the main weld so you get to the round portion of the collector tube and bent it over and reweld. Might possibly do the cut and re-weld right at the original tubes-to-collector weld if you are careful, but this method won't happen on the car..

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've not had good results trying to bend headers. Cutting and re-welding is a pain especially where tubes interfere w/ each other but has worked the best, -for me-.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give it a try with acetylene and leaving the header on the car. That header was very difficult to get on. I'd rather not have to take it off again. Thanks guys.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,699 Posts
If the "collector pointing outboard by 2"" is the only problem, I'd look at cutting a pie-wedge out of the collector and rewelding it.

Russ

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ha! Pulling the car over was my first thought. I'm thinking port-a-power.
I was under my 76 Vega. Headers were messed up. Car had 13" wheels on it. It was up on 4 stands. Port-a- power came out, I was underneath. Car landed beside me.
I cleaned my drawers and went home for the day...
I always think twice now!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts