Hot Rod Forum banner

twin disc clutch for t56

235 8
Hey all. I have a restomod 57 chevy truck and bought a trmec t56 with a quick time bell housing bolted to a bbc 468 approx 675 hp
question which clutch will be a better set up a tilton twin disc with a SPRING hub or a mcleod twin rst with a SOLID hub either will use a hydraulic throw out bearing. just looking for smooth operation street cruising, it will never see the track. thanks in advance

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Once you get over 550 your running into less street friendly stuff.

I would get a cheap ($350 ish) simple single disk rated for 500-550hp and let the thing slip to give you better street manners. It is going to wear out in the 8000-10000 range. But wont have you shock loading potentially breaking parts or running a custom $650 "stage X" setup that needs to be adjusted perfectly and readjusted perfectly so your not having issues having that $650 thing last till 15k. Run a cheap $350ish 500-550hp single disk and just expect it to last 8-10k knowing the $350 replacment is probally going to save the transmission behind it that you have 5-10 times as much into.

· just passin' thru
368 Posts
I have a Willys hot rod with a blown 392 Hemi and a Tremec TKO 600 trans. I use the McLeod Street Twin Clutch and slip-on style hydraulic throwout bearing. I have a project journal here on this site: Albums created by steve392

It took me quite a few years to build, but when I was researching which clutch to buy, I was able to talk to Red Roberts at Mcleod. I explained my application and Red recommended the Street Twin. He did mention that the discs had solid hubs. I expressed my concern about street drivability, and he stated that because of the dual disc setup, and if I recall correctly, the marcel spring that is built in between the friction surfaces of the discs makes up for the lack of hub springs.

Red was very helpful and knowledgable for sure and helped me decide on going with a Mcleod setup.
Bottom line is that I now have over 7000 miles on this setup, and have had no problems at all. The shifts are clean and smooth. The diaphragm style pressure plate works well and doesn't wear out my left leg with a lot of pedal pressure.

I have experienced no problems or issues with the solid hub twin disc, it is working well.
It's best to give Mcleod a call and ask about the solid hub vs. marcel spring setup in their discs. Double check with them as I don't want to give you the wrong information.

One last thing, whichever setup you go with, make sure that you dial in the total hydraulic throwout bearing travel distance as recommendrd by the manufacturer. If there's not enough bearing travel (read clutch master cylinder travel)
then there could be clutch disengagement problems, especially with a twin-disc setup.

Hope this helps,
Steve

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Willys hot rod with a blown 392 Hemi and a Tremec TKO 600 trans. I use the McLeod Street Twin Clutch and slip-on style hydraulic throwout bearing. I have a project journal here on this site: Albums created by steve392

It took me quite a few years to build, but when I was researching which clutch to buy, I was able to talk to Red Roberts at Mcleod. I explained my application and Red recommended the Street Twin. He did mention that the discs had solid hubs. I expressed my concern about street drivability, and he stated that because of the dual disc setup, and if I recall correctly, the marcel spring that is built in between the friction surfaces of the discs makes up for the lack of hub springs.

Red was very helpful and knowledgable for sure and helped me decide on going with a Mcleod setup.
Bottom line is that I now have over 7000 miles on this setup, and have had no problems at all. The shifts are clean and smooth. The diaphragm style pressure plate works well and doesn't wear out my left leg with a lot of pedal pressure.

I have experienced no problems or issues with the solid hub twin disc, it is working well.
It's best to give Mcleod a call and ask about the solid hub vs. marcel spring setup in their discs. Double check with them as I don't want to give you the wrong information.

One last thing, whichever setup you go with, make sure that you dial in the total hydraulic throwout bearing travel distance as recommendrd by the manufacturer. If there's not enough bearing travel (read clutch master cylinder travel)
then there could be clutch disengagement problems, especially with a twin-disc setup.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Thanks so much steve. great info. the people at tilton stated to me that the solid hub tend to make a noise like that resemble a marble rolling around inside or sometimes a chiping like sound for the reason why they use a spring hub. Which is why I was reaching out on here ( just because tilton or Mcleod are going to say anything just to get you to buy their product) do you notice anything as such with your set up? the tilton is $520 more than the Mcleod , hate to throw money out the window if not true. but if it is true I dont mind spending the money either. Just want something smooth and reliable.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey all. I have a restomod 57 chevy truck and bought a trmec t56 with a quick time bell housing bolted to a bbc 468 approx 675 hp
question which clutch will be a better set up a tilton twin disc with a SPRING hub or a mcleod twin rst with a SOLID hub either will use a hydraulic throw out bearing. just looking for smooth operation street cruising, it will never see the track. thanks in advance
Don't like twin disc clutches, very touchy to adjust. Perfer to use large diameter single disc clutch.

· Registered
12 Posts
I run a ACT twin disc clutch in my pro touring 68 camaro. Hydraulic clutch big inch L.S power 444cid... very smooth, quiet, light pedal pressure. Best clutch I have ever had period.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts