Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why isn't twin master cylinders more used on hot rods?
Every time I read about it, it seems like this system is far superior the common one M/C with booster system?

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Not sure I get what you mean..........I have seen twin MCs when a hydraulic clutch is used. Also, we have dual chamber MCs for the front and rear brake systems......since 1967, they have been mandatory on cars.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
staleg said:
Why isn't twin master cylinders more used on hot rods?
Every time I read about it, it seems like this system is far superior the common one M/C with booster system?
I think you are referring to the twin (side by side) master cylinders using a balance bar to activate both cylinders. Wilwood is one excellent manufacturer of this system.

If this is correct, most street applications would work very well with the correct pedal ratio and would then NOT have a need for a proportioning valve or power booster. Apparently few folks understand how to adjust the balance bar or just are not familiar with this type of system. It is used almost exclusively on race cars (roundy round type and road race type).

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Here is a link to some excellent info on brakes and the dual master cylinders you mentioned. It is lengthy (nine pages) but an excellent article by Dean Oshiro.

BRAKES

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you are building a race car why not? A street race car why not?
BUT on a street car to be used as daily transport and vacation wheels, an easily found and replaced on the road master cylinder would make more sense. Many alternative systems exist but for a car that is to be used regularly the factory-style is the easiest to acquire and service no matter where you are traveling.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the inputs all of you. I read that article. Very informative!

I'm just checking pros and contras on different solutions regarding the brake system on my hotrod.

The side by side master cylinder solution looks both small, reliable and simple to me and I'm planning to build the brake system with hanging pedals and the master cylinder(s) 90 degrees turned under the dash on my 34 Roadster. That's why I asked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts