Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and a buddy are starting his 28 hudson t bucket project and im looking for some advice on where to start... my goal is to have it done for hotrod o rama this year... its the first project i will be building from the ground up and i am having trouble with the spacing schematics for the motor mounts... the motor is a ford 351 and its backed by a c6... let me know if you have any advice...

The Stray

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Well what I do is bolt the tranny to the block and drop the whole thing in and get it to where it needs to be then measure up for the mounts..that works for me..

Sam

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Spacing schematics?

Get the motor and trans you want to use. Get some mounts .I use mustang mounts, Bolt the mounts on the motor, set it inbetween the frame rails so it clears your steering and suspension. A good place to start is with the centerline of the crankshaft level with the top of the frame rails, and that motor angled down in back at a 3-4 degree angle. Start filling the space between the frame and motor mounts with steel. I'd box that frame if I were you.

Hope this helps,
Mikey

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
well, hmm, er, you need to start somewhere. :thumbup:

Is there some reason why you are using a C6?
It is big, heavy, has a tremendous amount of parasitic drag, and it is kind of long for a short wheelbase car.

A c4 or aod will bolt up and would be a much better choice for a light car.

Later,
Mikey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice...

That sounds like a better bet... i have no idea why he chose a c6... and i tried to tal him out of it... but... its his rod... im just the tech tryin to piece the **** together... haha... poor me... i will let him know and watch the old craigslist like a hawk... thank you...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Heres my advice.

I started my project 8 years ago and planned on having it done in 6 months for a AMC cruise fest thingy.
I have limited money so this might no apply to you, but if it does. Take yer time and do it right. If ya rush, you will end up with a done car yer not happy with.
Good luck, HG

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
The Stray said:
hmm... well... ill give her a try...

The Stray
You seem a little hesitant, but powerrodsmike is givin' you the straight scoop. Hang the motor in there and start welding steel in between to hook it up. If the steering is in the way, move the motor to the passenger side. You can move it over there as far as you want, just make sure to keep the centerline of the motor/trans PARALLEL WITH THE CENTERLINE OF THE CAR. Do not angle it sideways and you won't have any u-joint problems. Remove the carb from the manifold and use a level on the carb pad to level the motor. (level on the pad will have the motor/trans angled down in the back by about 3 degrees) Use level sideways on the carb pad to level the motor side to side. Once you've done 6 or 8 swaps, it'll be a breeze. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.