Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired these photos and thought I would share them with you guys. They are original from the 1930's and show a VERY badly damaged 1930ish sedan (anyone know what kind of car?) then the car with a proud repair man next to it when like new again.

These photos have really grabbed me, it is like a time machine, I have to wonder where this man is today, if he is still alive. The garage looks exactly like one that was in my home town that sat on a corner of a busy intersection. The corner of the building had hole in each side so you drove your car through the building on the corner to reach the gas pumps. Of course this same style building was/is in towns all across America so I am not saying it is the one I remember seeing as a kid.

Anyway, if any of you have any similar photos, I would love the opportunity to buy them. I don't care if they are only twenty years old, I would like to see them at least. I am just thinking it would be a cool collection to have.

Sorry for the poor scan, in person the photos are crystal clear with near perfect lighting.

Before and after photos (click here)

·
Tow Chainer
245 Posts
That is very cool. That's the kind of thing I'd like all over my garage for when I don't think I can do something. That guy probably smithed and forge welded some of those parts. You can tell he busted his butt and is proud of what he did.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Beautiful!!
To think no body-filler existed back than, all metal finishing art.
I use to have a paper on painting back then and to paint something like this took 30-60 days, as the varnish coats took so long to dry between coats, seems to me you applied one coat and it was days before the next coat could be applied.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ghetto, let me take a stab at that one, around 1958. All I can say is, it was some brittle junk compared to todays fillers. No wonder it got such a bad rap.

By the way, I have been told by a couple of people it is a 28-29 Chevrolet.

3,214 Posts
They didn't have body filler back then, but they also weren't as picky about their cars either. They also had metal in them to work.

It may have taken some time to paint with that stuff, but it sure lasted. I have a 31 Ford that still had some of the original paint on it in 1990, until I hit it with a sand blaster. My 26 Ford still has some paint on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts