Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to undercoat the fiberglass fenders on my Delivery tp add more protection from small rocks or gravel impacting the underside and spidering the surface paint. Was thinking about truck bed inner as one possibility or does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Removing the fenders would not be an issue if need be. It will depend on what the method of the product application such as spray or brushed on.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,325 Posts
since you have fg fenders you can do almost anything you want. you could stick sound deadening mat under there. since i worried about rust and had my cab blown apart, i primed and had a light coat of commercial lineX bed liner sprayed under the fenders & inner fenders for rocks and the bottom of the cab for sound deadening. 10 years on the road, so far so good

rattle can undercoating is as effective as rattle can paint, it goes on too thin to be effective. unless you think .005 mils of protection is good :)

you can see the inner fender and cab bottom in the 1st pic
2nd pic is rear fender welt install (fender spare mount)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
You need to get a tape measure and some cardboard.

Short version here is that you want to build some inner fenders.

Keep them simple (minimal rounded corners) so that they can be mounted to the frame rail and go above the wheel mounting to the fender.

Undercoating does not work. I been down the no inner fender route with lowered rides where the tire was only a couple inches off the hood. Any debries that bounces off the inside of the fender is going right into the engine bay. You will not only get lots of dents on your fender(and hood). But your engine bay will look like junk fast.

You can build some nice inner fenders that can be held in place with 5 or 6 wingnuts. This will make them easy to remove for maintenance or to pull at a car show to give the look of not having inner fenders.

Play around with some cardboard, couple of metal hangers, and tape for a afternoon. You will be able to come up with something that fits your application and can be made easily enough. You may need to take your tires off and on a couple times to figure out a setup that can be easily be removed. But it will be much easier.

If you are going to remove your fenders and hood(or anything that needs to be aligned I always mark the location of key alignment bolts/accessories. I simply take a razor blade and run around the bolts or hinge making a scribe before removing stuff.
Now you can remove the fender, hood, etc and take it down to bare metal etc making sure to retain that gouge in the metal then once the paint and clear is on you tape off the gouge and paint the area that will be hidden black. When you go to put your hood, etc back on you simply cover all the black and the thing will align exactly like it did before you pulled it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inner fender suggestion. The car will remain full fender and I don’t have an issue with road debris getting into the engine compartment. The front fenders seem to take more of a beating than the rears. Back in the 70’s had the same issue with a 34 Ford sedan. On this car there is fairly good wheel clearances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts