Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I my Jag someone had done a LOUSY ground effects job on the car, they used very thin sheet metal and didn'y give it any drainage. The sheet metal has now begun to seriously rust to the point I need to remove it. The fenders underneath are still in very good condition. I like the ground effect look but I need to remove the old job to get a better picture of what it will take to do it right. The sheet metal was pop rivited into position and then plastic body fillered over the transistion. That also has begun to crack and pull away. Any ideas on taking it all off and then (Maybe) doing a rebuild in maybe fiberglass.

Regards
Mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
Will you be getting help from your pit crew? :)

IMHO, if its rusting and inferiorly (is that a word?) made, your best bet is to get it off before it starts corrosion in other parts. The bondo complicates things for certain.

Personally, I'd do whatever I could to get the metal off and then grind away all the bondo to bare metal to be certain the underlying material was solid. Of course, this involves repainting aferwards.

Depending on the final look you want, IMHO, metal and fiberglass each have their pluses and minuses (for the new effects). On a Jag, I think I'd be tempted to do it with metal as you'd retain the quality feel that metal tends to have and you could completely blend in the metalwork without worrying about different expansion rates cracking the interface. Of course, metal dents and rusts where glass doesn't.

OTOH, with fiberglass, if you did it right, you could make the parts removable so, if you wanted to sell it someday, you could pull them off and restore it back with minimal fuss. Metal's less doable for removal because its going to be heavier.

Just some thoughts. I'm certainly no expert, just a hobbyist so take my advice with that grain of salt.

Do you have any pics? I looked at your album, but couldn't quite see what you're describing.

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pit Crew help me You bet!!
Well I took the bottom metal off to open it up on one side, it looks aweful but underneath looks ok. I may go back to the stock fender profile depending on what I find. the drivers side is bad the passenger side has foam in it to fill in the holes which is bad too. The foam is most likely holding in moisture. Trying to think if I could use a dremel tool to cut the bulk away and then grind it down from there. The Bondo will fill up my grinder no doubt. Any other ideas are welcome.

Regards
Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
I usually use a disc sander with a very coarse disc (60 grit)- dust gets everywhere but takes it down quick and you can see if you're getting into anything important in time... I also agree- use sheet metal to form any new parts-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts