Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Putting new Fiam universal horn in 98 windstar.
Has a 1 n 2 hookup option. I got a pushbutton horn button to. What wires go were? Tnx, HG

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

In most STOCK type connections, The Horn will connect as Follows:
  • One Side of the Horn button to ground.
  • The other side to the horn relay COIL (Contact #86 )ground.
  • Horn relay COIL ( Contact #85 ) Positive to A "Hot At All Times" 12 volt FUSED (1 amp) Source.
  • The Normally OPEN Contact ( Contact #87 ), to a Fused 12 volt hot at all times source (the battery).
  • The CENTER WIPER, (Contact #30) To The Horn power.

When the Button is pressed, it provides GROUND to the relay coil, which is wired "Hot At all Times" and activates the relay.

The Contacts Numbers 87 and 30 close and provide power from the battery to the horn , and when released, open the circuit.

Hope it helps!

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Horn hookup

Doc, I read your post on how to wire a horn relay and how it works. Very informative. I have a 36 Ford pickup with an Ididit column and a Grant steering wheel with two connection terminals on the horn button. I finally got around to buying a two wire horn for it but can't get it to work. I am attaching the wheel installation instructions (for wiring) and the relay wiring diagram that I used. Since your post is so old I tried to send you a private message but couldn't figure out how to do attachments. The instructions from Grant are telling me not to use the ground terminal on the horn button. I am attaching the instructions from Grant and the relay wiring diagram that I used. Hopefully you will see this and tell me where I am going wrong. Thank you.

Attachments

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
The horn control as described by DOC is a single wire system. Single wire means that a single wire goes to the horn button. When the button is pressed a circuit is completed to ground through the steering column. This circuit to ground energizes the coil of the relay (terminal #86).
The relay then closes and provides power to the horns. (terminals #30,#87)
The sketch you attached is a 2 wire system that requires + power to the horn button and a second wire from the horn button to the relay.
The Grant instructions allow either option but it depends on the wiring of the steering column.

vicrod

·
Registered
122 Posts
horn hookup

Vicrod, please let me know if you think I have this right. Connect a ground wire from the horn button ground terminal to a ground on the steering wheel mounting piece. Connect the black wire coming from the column to the center terminal on the horn button. Connect the other end of the black wire from the column to # 86 on the horn relay. Connect wire from #85 to access. side of ignition switch. Connect wire from #87 to battery + terminal. Connect wire from #30 to one of the two terminals on the horn. I am assuming the the other terminal on the horn would be grounded.
The reason for making and hooking up the ground wire between the horn button terminal and the wheel mounting piece is because I misunderstood Grants instructions and cut the part of the horn spring that would have provided the ground. Any suggestion on wire sizes? Thank very much for your help.

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
In the horn button, somehow, when the horn button is pressed a circuit is completed to ground. I don't know your exact setup but some kind of brush and ring arrangement is common.
Terminal #85 is usually hot at all times thus allowing the horn to be used regardless of the ignition position. See EOD guy diagram.
#14 wire should be adequate for the horns.
Don't forget the fuse. 20 amp max for #14 wire.

vicrod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.