Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
OMG WOW! I like the Led Zeppelin playing in the back ground.

Weimer do you know if any companies make air ride setups for 78-87 Caprices?

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are several options for air ride setups. It all depends on what you are expecting from the setup. Are you wanting something for show, go, fast, slow, minimal adjustment, maximum adjustment, weld-in, bolt-on....? Send me a PM with an idea of what you are wanting, and it'll give me a place to start.
Later,
WEIMER

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Man, I'm getting to be a geezer. I don't see the point in sending your ride skyward like that. Too much of an investment of time and money. I like the air ride only for putting it in the weeds when your parked, and then go to ride height.
Someone throw some dirt on me.....I must be dead.:pain:

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
Am I the only one thinking "Gimme a 5 point restraint and a helmet, I WANNA RIDE!!!!"?

Thats pretty cool.

Chris

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I dunno but it seems like that video is photochopped? How does he get that high in the air with aribags? I never knew bags had the same power hydros did?

Mike

·
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever have 400 psi go through a 1" I/D airline? I would say that it would probably knock you on your back if it hit you.
Think about this....Why do people build drag cars? I mean honestly who needs a car that goes 180mph? Why would someone spend money on that type of car...the speed limit is only 65mph.Its like comparing a drag car to a show car.
NO...the video isn't photchopped. The truck has no interior, motor or tranny. I can provide more videos. I have one of a full interior driver Suburban that launchs about 3'-4' off the ground. This perticular truck is running nitrogen. You can do the same with air but it takes a little more effort.
The setup on my truck is built for some serious playtime...I am only running 3/8 valves and a front/back setup. I have the extra parts to run 1/2" fill valves and 3/8" dump valves, with front/back/side to side. I don't see a need for it. I don't really don't need the ability to hop my truck 1' off the ground.
Like I said, nobody HAS to build something like this....they just want to. I personally don't see a NEED to build a 800hp motor but if I decide one day that I would like to....then I will.
On the subject of air surpassing hydros....that is an old time argument, such as ford or chevy. I personally like the low maintaince and installation ease of air, but some people like the hydros.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Weimer said:
Ever have 400 psi go through a 1" I/D airline? I would say that it would probably knock you on your back if it hit you.
Think about this....Why do people build drag cars? I mean honestly who needs a car that goes 180mph? Why would someone spend money on that type of car...the speed limit is only 65mph.Its like comparing a drag car to a show car.
NO...the video isn't photchopped. The truck has no interior, motor or tranny. I can provide more videos. I have one of a full interior driver Suburban that launchs about 3'-4' off the ground. This perticular truck is running nitrogen. You can do the same with air but it takes a little more effort.
The setup on my truck is built for some serious playtime...I am only running 3/8 valves and a front/back setup. I have the extra parts to run 1/2" fill valves and 3/8" dump valves, with front/back/side to side. I don't see a need for it. I don't really don't need the ability to hop my truck 1' off the ground.
Like I said, nobody HAS to build something like this....they just want to. I personally don't see a NEED to build a 800hp motor but if I decide one day that I would like to....then I will.
On the subject of air surpassing hydros....that is an old time argument, such as ford or chevy. I personally like the low maintaince and installation ease of air, but some people like the hydros.
Later,
WEIMER
Thanks for the explanation. I dont prefer hydros, not at all, I just always thought hydros were more powerfull and was surprised to see that air bags can make a car jump that high. I just always though air-ride was being used for lowering and raising and not making your car hop up and down in the front or lift off like you see all the kids doing in their 80's pimpmobiles:rolleyes:
Guess air has just as much power. If I ever am lucky enough to afford a lowering system I'll definitely go for the air bags. Less weight, cheaper and low maintenance. How much does that setup in the video cosT?

Mike

·
Banned
431 Posts
Weimer said:
I can provide more videos. I have one of a full interior driver Suburban that launchs about 3'-4' off the ground. This perticular truck is running nitrogen.
Later,
WEIMER
i'd like to see it :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
crazy larry said:
what kind off weight is involved with a bag set up mang?
Joo can beeld it weet a leetle combpraysur an eet doh way too much. Eets take longur to raze eet bak up weet de leetle combpraysur doh. Yoos de beeg combpraysur an eet uh bous up kweek yo. De beeg wong ways a leetle mour doh.

Joo no wot ima tokkeen abow mang?

Larry

THIS POST WAS MADE IN JEST. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I cant bare to watch anymore! Please! Put that truck out of it's misery!!!

What is the point of doing this? Just a huge waste of money. Maybe they should be using that money for better things like giving it too me! :thumbup:

·
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
87442lover said:
I cant bare to watch anymore! Please! Put that truck out of it's misery!!!

What is the point of doing this? Just a huge waste of money. Maybe they should be using that money for better things like giving it too me! :thumbup:
Misery? Like that truck was ever destined for some great mission? LOL!!! Like I said before...what is the point of building any type of car for anything other than basic transportation? For enjoyment right? Thats why I am building mine! I suppose that I am just 'wasting' my money also? I mean I can't haul anything, layed out the doors are only 1/4" off the ground, and it will be a gas hog....and when I am done the doors won't even open right, they'll open backwards:rolleyes: I am seriously considering building an "air-dancer" after I get the wifes Jag done. Maybe I should just "invest" my hotrod money into something like an ultra rare mid 80' G-Body.
On a side note...do you EVER have anything positive to say about anything?! And besides I wouldn't give you any $ of mine...even if it was nickel-night at the whorehouse and I had a bag full of quarters. :p
Later,
WEIMER

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
OK, I see the point. The Avatar says it all "Nuttier than a squirrel turd!" (I love it!!) Seriously, I do see your point. Its one of those "Non-mainstream" things. Specialized special interest. Thats cool. It'd be better with a motor, though. Otherwise its a jack in the box. I think it'd be hysterical to see a guy get out at a stop light and pul that prank..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts