Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm looking to upgrade my '07 Chevy Corvette.
Looking for a nice cold intake setup and exhaust that would work nicely. Looking to gain overall about 25 to 30 horses. I've heard a lot about the Borla exhaust, but wanted to know what other options are available that would work pretty well without being as costly. I'm trying to find a reliable speed shop here in the Dallas area that deals with Vettes. Please help, let me know if you need further information. This is my first vette, so i'm very green at the moment.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
My father-in-law is president of his Corvette club, I've driven his Z06 and talked to the guys at the slalom.

You've got over 400 conservative horsepower and torque in an honest 3200 lb. car, the torque curve hits very early and is very flat out to redline, and it runs a solid 12 second quarter mile and is still pulling hard. I hit stupid speeds short shifting and staying under 5000 rpm with no drama what-so-ever.

Your year car has the same engine. 25 horsepower would add very little to that level of performance and if it doesn't complement your power band the car may end up slower overall.

My 2 cents=do absolutely nothing. There are no cheap ways to gain any significant horsepower. A cold air intake won't do squat. It already has a titanium exhaust system and the entire package is enineered by a team of PH.Ds to haul butt. They got it right.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I work occasionally with a company out of Houston called Late Model Racecraft.
Also, Jason at Texas Drivetrain & Perf. is a helluva guy; however he only does axles and 6speed rebuilding. If you give him a call; Im sure he can recommend the go to shop in your area.
There is a company called SNL Performance, they produce the Monster clutches I believe and I know they're in Ft Worth although I have no personal experience with them however.

Im with the others though; I think A) 20horsepower may present itself...somewhere in the powerband, probably in a place in your powerband you wont often get to legally. You may want to consider having a tune done instead to match your driving habits and give you gains where you'll see it most.

I had a friend with a TPI years ago; went to the trouble of putting a short ram intake manifold, new injectors etc on his motor. He did pick up some power; however most of what it did was shift his powerband UP and he actually lost a little bottom end in the deal. Bottom line; he never drove the car the way he should have to enjoy it

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
The entire package was engineered by accountants to sell, that's all.

A cai and an exhaust can help the entire power band, as will headers, as will a tune, and a cam CAN as well (if chosen properly). The stock vette is a great car for a factory stock car at that price, but unless its modified don't be surprised to have it surpassed by modified cars ranging from civics to stangs to bmw sedans or even the lowly Pinto.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey All,

Thanks for all the good advice. I might just settle with the current setup and buy an older vette and have at it with building my own power ball. I'm looking at an older 75 vette.. or that orange vette from Boogie Nights.. lol.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
ap72 said:
The entire package was engineered by accountants to sell, that's all.

A cai and an exhaust can help the entire power band, as will headers, as will a tune, and a cam CAN as well (if chosen properly). The stock vette is a great car for a factory stock car at that price, but unless its modified don't be surprised to have it surpassed by modified cars ranging from civics to stangs to bmw sedans or even the lowly Pinto.

Wrong, yet again. Headers and exhaust will do wonders.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
redfish211 said:
Hey All,

Thanks for all the good advice. I might just settle with the current setup and buy an older vette and have at it with building my own power ball. I'm looking at an older 75 vette.. or that orange vette from Boogie Nights.. lol.
Might be the best plan. There is just no "cheap" way to add anything significant to the power, and even if you spent 2-3 thousand dollars (the price of an exhaust system, for example) the gains will be small, percentage- and seat of the pants- wise.

Now, if you want to have some fun- and cheap fun at that- get one of these! ;)

Video/audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVuVuIC1EVg&feature=player_embedded

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.