Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing on upgrading my brake system on my 1935 ford p.u. By adding a dual master cylinder and maybe a 7" brake booster if it will help. But I have 2 questions. I have been told both ways by guys. Some say going with a larger bore master cylinder is better,like a 1 1/8 bore. Then others say a smaller bore like a 11/16 bore master cylinder is better,it will give more line pressure. Which is better ? Also I plan on installing inline residual pressure valves on the front and rear lines. But whats better ? Putting the valves close to the master cylinder, or installing them as far as possible from the master cylinder. Like closer to the wheel cylinders.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,304 Posts
They have to match, so bigger or smaller isn't better, right is better. If you go too big, you'll have short travel and high effort. If you go too small, you'll have long travel, spongy pedal, and might run out of travel before you get enough pressure to the wheels.

Here's what I suggest. Find out your wheel cylinder/caliper piston diameter. Then use a parts catalog to look up other wheel cylinder caliper sizes. Find an application that uses the same sizes you have and then see what the master cylinder stroke and bores are. From there its a matter of fine tuning it with an adjustable prop valve on the rear line.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Curtis is correct, you cannot choose a MC simply by selecting a bore size. There are factors to consider like pedal ratio, whether you have all disc brakes , whether you have disc front drum rear. Educate yourself before you make a mistake, this is an area where you want to get it correct. This is one good resource

Vince

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.