Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I have tried to spray centari dupont acrylic enamel today and it keeps plugging my gun. I mixed it with the appropriate reducer and hardener, the garage is at 80 degrees. I first tried to spray it around 3:00 with my old gun that always works and it would shoot air and only about half the paint then no paint at all. So I disassembled the gun and cleaned it fully and didn't get any better. So I went and bought a new gun sprayed great for about 2 minutes then it stopped spraying enough paint but plenty of air, *Keep in mind I used the old paint from the old gun* I ran the old paint through a filter before pouring it into the new gun it looked o.k. to me this was around 5:00. So now when I open the canister on the new gun and let the paint drain out of the pickup tube it will spray like it should for about 5 seconds then it won't spray any paint or very little and lots of air. So I cleaned the new gun and ran this same paint through 2 strainers and it does the same thing.

- It has to be a problem with the paint clogging the pickup tube correct? But what should I do is it bad paint?

-Wouldn't straining it fix this?

-I am using the mid temp reducer. Is this correct for 70-80 degrees????

Help I have been at this since 12:00 and can't get anything done!!! I am lost. SHould I clean the new gun again and mix a new batch of paint???? I am waisting alot of expensive paint...... Thanks....

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Your VENT HOLE is clogged.
Either a siphon or gravity gun has an AIR VENT in the cap.
If it's blocked with residue.NO air can enter the cup and you create a VACUME as the paint is pulled out and then,It STOPS.
The old siphon gun "may" have a tube routed to the yoke and the "hole" is under the yoke,A gravity feed has the hole in the cup lid center top.May need to remove a "cap" or check for a blocked vent opening in the vent cap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks the new gun made by Forney had a clear hose for a vent and it was clogged and my old devilbliss gun just had a hole. I bet that was it. It has been a day from hell..... HOw many guns come with a hose on top that can clog seems like a bad design as now you have to replace the vent hose each time you spray.......
THanks man big time, I'll let you know tomorrow if it helped......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Say I can't find a spec sheet for Dupont centari acrylic enamel paint. Any idea if it is on the internet somewhere. I need to know if tomorrow when I paint over the few spots I just sprayed if I need to light sand them or just coat over the top...... It would also be helpful to know if there are flash times between coats of paint... I can't find that info anywhere......

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Next time disconnect the cup and stick the pickup tube in the paint,if it starts spraying its the vent thats pluged,Stick a tooth pick in it to clean it and cover the tip with your finger and pull the trigger(it'll blow out the vent) throw that plastic tube in the trash and leave it off.Then adjust it so the vent is in back towards the handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.