Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone started a thread about 9 inch Ford gears that were making noise, but I can't find it. I was going to let them know how the Stealth gears worked out. I've been waiting since August to get them from Summit, but they never shipped them. Quick Performance had them in stock and I got them in 3 days. The bad news is that I was told US Gear is shutting down. This was the last USA aftermarket gear manufacturer that I know of.

I installed them yesterday and had a problem that I've never seen before. The pinion gear for 2.75 and 2.50 gears are pretty large and just fit in the hole of the case. The standard 3.25 pinion gear is much smaller and fits in the hole easily, but the way that the teeth are cut on the Stealth gears makes the pinion much larger. This one wouldn't fit in the front hole in the case. I had to put the gear in my lathe and cut it down a little to get it in the hole. Other than that it was just like any other 9 inch installation. The gears feel very smooth when I turn them by hand and the pattern was very nice. The owner is going to install it in the car today and see if they are quiet. This will be the 3rd set of gears in this car, so hopefully these will be quiet.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
WTH with the pinion diameter. Not sure how that could slip past.
Noise issues seem to be just random. I have done 4 of the Stealth 3.50 gears and all were quiet. I did a $90 Excel F9 3.50 set last week and it was quiet. Did a Camaro 7.6 yesterday with black box Richmond 3.73, and they are obnoxiously noisy, will be getting a set from AAM to swap them out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts