Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a used AC compressor with 130k miles for free, but it was not capped when removed from previous car.
1) Has anyone been successful using AC compressor that was not sealed or capped when it was removed?
2) Is there something I can do now to remove mosture or dirt that may have entered the compressor?
3) Is there a way to test it before actually installing in car system?
Thanks

·
Administrator
8,551 Posts
It may be just fine.
What type of compressor is it?
Did you drain any oil out?
Look at the oil that comes out.
To remove moisture, you vacuum the system after it is sealed up.
You can rotate the compressor with your fionger over the port. It should make pressure, that would indicate health.Also you can plug a vacuum gauge into the suction side and turn the compressor , it should pull vacuum.
I usually put a socket on the shaft nut to turn a compressor.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not dump any oil out but I'm not sure ir the person who removed it did.

The 97 honda accord it came out of was very clean as was the rest of the AC system.

Would it be better to put some oil in it and then dump it out to clean any dust or dirt out before turning it?

Just think that would flush debris before it si dragged through.

·
Administrator
8,551 Posts
You could do that , or you could dump in an approved flush solvent and shake it around, then dump it out.
Flush solvent is pricey, and it is sold in quarts. You could pour in some oil, and dump it out to see what comes out with it. If its clean, your good to go.
When you install the compressor, only dump in 1-2 ounces of oil MAX.
I would only dump in 1 ounce, especially after flushing will oil.
Just be sure to drain the compressor well, then add oil, and after the compressor is mounted and the system is closed ready for evacuation, turn it over by hand 12-15 revolutions, to be sure the oil moves through it and that it doesnt hydrolock before charging the system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.