Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any problems with using a dishwasher to clean a carb. housing other than if I get caught??:thumbup:

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
there is a whole thread on this subject from a few months back do a little digging and you will find it

i wouldnt recomend it it would work but i wouldnt want to use it for dishes afterwards.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
It has been my experience that women get real upset when you try to bring the shop work into the kitchen. You do not overhaul motorcycle engines on the kitchen table.:nono: :nono: :nono:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CrashFarmer2 said:
It has been my experience that women get real upset when you try to bring the shop work into the kitchen. You do not overhaul motorcycle engines on the kitchen table.:nono: :nono: :nono:
maybe not a motorcycle but she let me do a 5hp briggs&stratton on it:thumbup:

3,214 Posts
CrashFarmer2 said:
Crash... I can understand that. I can't believe that I got away with cleaning a set os V8 heads in the living room with a drill and wire brush. Then again, we had just gotten married, and she had not gotten complete control yet. LOL Wouldn't try it now.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
Never clean any automotive parts inside of something that cleans things you eat or drink from.
Too late. You know what they say about young men like me:
young, dumb, and *.
if you don't understand the last part, I won't explain it to you. That's something you kids will learn later in life, and isn't forum appropriate. I posted it since it's part of the saying, for your info.

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
yeah i wouldnt do it, and beleave it or not i have rebuilt car engines and mower engines in the liveing room... motor right infront of the tv... lol mom just dont like me bringing carbs in the house cuz it stinks up the place. why not use some engine degreaser to clean the outside spray it off, dissasemble then clean the inside with kerosine (use gloves) or something.. then wash it in soapy water should be able to get it pretty clean (dont forget to blow it out).. but like it was said, DO NOT use it if you plan on eating out of the stuff that comes out of it. besides what if your mom finds out, she may not let you bring anything else in the house.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old School Nut said:
mom just dont like me bringing carbs in the house cuz it stinks up the place.

besides what if your mom finds out, she may not let you bring anything else in the house.
That's what i just did, but I had to do a quick clean first to get rid of the smell. She would've known if I was going to do it, I'm a good boy

Old School Nut said:
why not use some engine degreaser to clean the outside spray it off, dissasemble then clean the inside with kerosine (use gloves) or something.. then wash it in soapy water should be able to get it pretty clean (dont forget to blow it out).. but like it was said, DO NOT use it if you plan on eating out of the stuff that comes out of it.
That's what I ended up doing

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Building my brothers smallblock in his kitchen got him a divorce.He was wanting to get one anyway and that was the thing that finally did it.

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
I rebuilt my snowmobile carb on the butcher block ......... Kinda added a nice aroma to the house! Till my motherinalaw came!!! She said to my hubby ................... And you wanted to marry this??>>>>>

Pup

·
Registered
290 Posts
Cleaning in the dishwasher

You will probably ruin the dishwasher and I would not eat or drink from anything else run through it afterwards. But if you do it anyway at least make an experiment out of it. Keep notes so you will know what to expect when you get married and pull stunts like that. That way before your wife hits you in the head with a bat you can stop her to check your notes on how you handled the problem in 2004.:thumbup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Many many moons ago, one of my roommates degreased a Norton motorcycle engine in the bathtub (rented house) The tub was never the same. I've overhauled several carbs on the kitchen table, (degrease and wash outside). Another friend and I rebuilt a Ford FE in his livingroom, (too cold out in the shed) Still another friend restored a 47 Indian Chief in the extra bedroom of his mobile home, (had to partially remove a wall to get the darn thing outside in the spring)....... The long and short of it, sure when you are young and shop space challenged you can do almost anything to accomodate your hobbies/passions, when you get established and somewhat responsible, you appreciate the benefits of having a shop and designated work area, no matter how small. The keyword is responsible! at the time, nobody was thinking ahead about bathtub replacement, carpet cleaning or replacement, wall repair, or even furniture refinishing and cleaning. Have fun, but try to reduce the collateral damage as much as you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
Too late. You know what they say about young men like me:
young, dumb, and *.
if you don't understand the last part, I won't explain it to you. That's something you kids will learn later in life, and isn't forum appropriate. I posted it since it's part of the saying, for your info.
You kids? Aren't you only 18 yourself kiddo?

haha

-L-

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i guess the two years makes a difference:)
oh, and by the way, I decided I'm just not gonna put anything in it and run the risk of messin anything up.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
bowtiebabe72 said:
You kids? Aren't you only 18 yourself kiddo?

haha

-L-
I'm 18. I'm legally an adult. Plus, it's just something I say. When I was a junior in HS I said that sometimes and the seniors in that class would be like what the (beep)!? But yea, I get funny reactions to that alot.:)

Maybe I should try that at an old folks home.:mwink:
(hey, gotta keep myself busy; no girlfriend and a part-time job leaves a lot of time to kill)

·
Registered
13 Posts
You will get used to the no girlfriend thing. Pick up some more hours @ your job while you're at it. More money to work on your car with never hurt anybody.

Take my advice to <3 kid. haha.

-L-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts