Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda long title, but just wondering.

I have a set of 16 L9 stover lock nuts to convert my press in positive stop studs to be adjustable on my 74 351W, wondering if i could run the old rocker arm balls (replaced old rocker arms with comp magnum arm kit) inverted as thick washers instead of stacking a bunch of grade 8 washers (which i already have) or what kind of washers i could get that would be thick and heat treated as i'm assuming the rocker arm balls are. Or will grade 8 washers stacked be sufficient?

thanks a bunch
Dubz

·
Registered
593 Posts
The washers should be fine. I would worry the inverted balls would have too little bearing area...and from the sound of that I would certainly avoid it!!:pain:

Bluesman

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
roys63 said:
Are you sure you have the right length push rods for the rockers you are using?
yuppers, comp says you need thier kit to convert if you get thier rocker arms, and i bought the nuts from grainger and washers to stack for $10 instead of $30 or so the comp kit is.

comps kit comes with a thick washer to use, and i have not found anything similar in my search. I have enough washers to do 2 on each, although previously it didn't seem like it would need one at all, but the old nuts had an unthreaded section that moved down over the shoulder of the stud, so i might need one to make up for that.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
works great

They are stronger than standard washers and work great. I used to use them on the lower mounting bolt for the ALT on SBC's. I used them instead of the solid sleeve that comes factory.

But hey, I've done some crazy things like put BBF rockers on SBC's before! (cut the bottom off and drill the hole to 3/8!)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: works great

NXS said:
They are stronger than standard washers and work great. I used to use them on the lower mounting bolt for the ALT on SBC's. I used them instead of the solid sleeve that comes factory.

But hey, I've done some crazy things like put BBF rockers on SBC's before! (cut the bottom off and drill the hole to 3/8!)
you used the balls or the comp kit?

anyone else have any input, such as "this is a very bad idea" or anything?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
home converson

I have, in the past, used self locking nuts and two 3/8ths washers on each rocker arm to convert Winsor Positive stops over to adjustable. It works just fine. I dont recommend trying to use the rocker arm balls out of the factory rocker arms in any way with the new rockers. Turning them upside down, and placing the flats against each other wont work as then you wont have enough threads for your nuts to grab on to and hold.

Just put two washers per rocker arm and then install your nuts. If you cant get the depth of adjustment you need then add another washer. The washers and self-locking nuts( I recommend the ogived locking nuts vs nylon ring type) are a lot less expensive at a hardware store. An alternative with the nylon lock ring type is to go back and double nut them once you have your adjustment. I just dont trust the nylon once its been heated up a few times.

As was mentioned, Comp Cams makes a conversion kit part # 4610-16, which I have sitting here next to me and have never used. I had bought it for an engine, then went with Crane Roller Rockers, with posi-locks.

A caviat here:
Double nut the studs with the top nut flush with the top of the threads and tap the studs down to be sure they are properly seated.
Before you install your rocker arms on the pressed in studs, grab you 16 1/8" X 1 1/4 inch roll pins and a couple good 1/8th inch drill bits. Drilling from the intake side, drill into the stud boss, all the way through and drive the roll pins into the bosses. This will keep your studs from pulling out, as they are prone to do with heavy springs or a higher lift cam, or both.

Been there more times than care to admit.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: home converson

thanks again max, i got the locknuts that come in that kit, so only need washers, and if i can get away with stacking washers that's perfect.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, i had bought 16 of what was labled as 3/8" washers, which turn out to have a hole that a 13/32 drill bit will fit though with room to spare still. Thinking i'd like something that's a little closer to 3/8ths and more of them, so i have another question.

Any kind of heat treating or anything special needed for the washers?

i might have to just break down and get this kit from you max, sucks cause i only need washers, but i might not be able to find what i want/need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts