Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the Jag I instsalled a new AKAI CD/MP3 player and removed the old Alpine speakers that were mounted in the door panels. The Jag has a plastic (possible ABS) raised speaker mount that sits in the door. Then the speaker and housing actually goes through the upolsterd door panel. The new style speakers won't fit in these mounts. After I removed one it leaves a rather large square opening where the speaker mount used to be. Now that I have removed the old mounts the new speakers have nothing to screw into. I was thinking of making an aluminum panel to fill in the square, but that seemed alot of work, so I was thinking of using polystyrene but wasn't sure if it had enough strenght to hold the speakers in place. Any other ideas?

Regards
Mark:thumbup:

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Is it something that you can make out of wood and cover them in carpet or upholstery material?
Is the new speaker too small? Is a larger size speaker available....what size speaker come out of the door? What size are you replacing it with?
Polystyrene I wouldn't think would be very strong to fill a gap to hold a speaker.
Later,
WEIMER

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok here are the details,
Speaker that came out was a 2 way 5.25 Alpine, 45 watt speaker. I'm putting in a 220 watt 5.25 speaker made by Pioneer. The main issue is they have changed the speaker design to move the mounting hole out on to tabs instead of the old style speaker that had the screw holes in the speaker frame. I could use wood, in fact I have some 1/8 inch ply that I was considering and would add some extra mounting blocks to the back. After removing the old mout the car door has about a 6 x 6 square opening in it. The door panels are in sad shape at the bottom and will be replaced soon. I need to fill the hole with something easy to work with but strong enough for mounting screws,

Regards
Mark:thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just go get a half inch thick piece of acrylic and paint it.

Or you could just measure it out, and have them go cut it for you with the pre colored acrylic pieces and everything, they'll cut it to exact spec's for hell of cheap.

Even custom shape it something simple if you want.

Under ten bucks for two I bet.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Jag Daddy said:
I was thinking of making an aluminum panel to fill in the square, but that seemed alot of work, so I was thinking of using polystyrene but wasn't sure if it had enough strenght to hold the speakers in place. Any other ideas?
Check out www.usplastic.com There are dozens of plastics that will do what you want. You can even call these people and they will help you decide what to use. They sell small squares or large 4' by 8' sheets in whatever thickness you want. I made a gauge panel out of Delrin and it was a snap to do using woodworking tools.
One question: ...... Can't you drill holes through the new speakers in the same place as the old speakers?

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
by polystyrene do you mean styrofoam? If yes, it wont work, not even close. For speakers you need something with density. Resonance is a big enemy of sound quality so you need something that will absorb vibration. I would suggest mdf board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.