Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to conduct and experiment with High Gloss Polyurethane(mainly used for wood) as a clearcoat over rather inexpensive paint like acrylic enamel. I thought this might make it a little glossier. If this is totally wacky than can I spray regular automotive clearcoat over the inexpensive acrylic enamel? or should I be smart and just cough up the cash for basecoat/clearcoat?

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
teched said:
I've been wanting to conduct and experiment with High Gloss Polyurethane(mainly used for wood) as a clearcoat over rather inexpensive paint like acrylic enamel. I thought this might make it a little glossier. If this is totally wacky than can I spray regular automotive clearcoat over the inexpensive acrylic enamel? or should I be smart and just cough up the cash for basecoat/clearcoat?

If you want to do a BC/CC job, buy the proper paints.

I can tell by your previous posts, that you are a rookie at this....might be better to practice with less expensive enamals first. Try painting something else....a wheelbarrow, etc, or just a spare hood or door.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
teched said:
Lets see if I got this right, you want to use a wood polyurethane over automotive enamel?
Thats going back-wards, custom wood re-finishers are going to automotive paint. Some are even using house of color bases.
I saw a set of kitchen cabinets a few weeks ago with 6 coats of auto clear over black. The price $50,000!! But it was flawless.

Also your wood paint will not bond to automotive paint good at all.
If you are asking if you can use automotive polyurethane clear over auto enamel the answer is yes AS long as the enamel is activated 8:1 and sets 4hrs @70 degrees min.
I like the others I'm a little confused as to what you are asking, so we all give you a little bit of everything?

·
Registered
717 Posts
yes barry, your absolutely right on that. i used to work for one of the largest yacht manufacturers in the world and all the cabinetry was done in a polyurethane clearcoat then sanded and buffed. the teak looks like glass. all the flat parts like doors were even UV cured.

they do make clear acrylic enamel. if you are shooting an acrylic enamel color just shoot a couple coats of AE clear on top, why goto something thats completely not designed for automotive use. if i were you i would still kick out for the bc/cc though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts