Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any suggestions as to the ease of swapping a flathead v-8 into a 1953 Chevy 1 ton?
A 3 speed overdrive tranny is available with a running mercury motor. Current transmission is a sm420 4 speed and the rear is a stock 5.14 but supposedly can be swapped for a 4.10 out of a 3/4 ton Chevy 67-72.

Anyone done this or know the ratios of a 50's ford 3 speed with overdrive?

Any pros or cons on this will be welcome. The motor currently in the truck is a Chevy 235 that I unstuck by dragging the truck in high gear. this was before I heard you should spray something down the spark plug holes and work the engine free _gently_:pain:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Being a Ford Man

In all honesty, being a Ford man, I think you would be better off going with an SBC, and pedel the flathead to someone wanting to build a traditional hot rod roadster, or replace the old 6 with a 292 Chevy truck 6.

Im not all that up to speed on those old 3 speed overdrives, but based on what a lot of the 3 speed Ford trannies came with back in the 50's and early 60's, my guess its about a 3.18 low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the cautionary words about a v-8 swap in the ad Chevy and moving my post over to the engine forum. I thought the flathead was a relatively compact v-8 to swap and that the usual SBC engine mount cross-members could be pressed into service but I was just guessing.

Anyone with a running 235 for sale feel free to email me especially if you are close to NJ

Regards Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.