Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. First and foremost you guys are awesome, I have been on a few forums where a lot of people are rude and just impolite. Here it is a different story so thanks for being kind to the newbs.

I have an old 1968 Volvo 122S Wagon, that I am working over. I just redid all of the wiring and interior body work. I am in the middle of the body, frenching lights, power door locks and windows, etc...Now looking into putting a different power plant in her. There is limited room in the engine bay however, unless I want to start cutting. ...

I am somewhat partial to the 4.3 Vortec V6 out of a Blazer or similar. Decent power cheap parts etc. Can I turn that engine into a screamer....are there performance mods out there for the 4.3 like there is for the 350?

What other options are there in a V6 flavor, for that matter a smaller V8 that I can soup up......

thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
Years ago a friend of mine had a 289 "Cobra" engine in her 122. She said it was her favorite car she ever owned. She bought it that way so I cant really say what went into it but it was damn fast and surprised more than one stop light racer lol.

The 4.3 is a great engine and you can find performance parts. Check out summit and ebay. In the end its going to get pretty spendy if you want a lot of power. If you can get a v8 in it I think you would be better off in the long run.

Jordon

·
GM Tech
58 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think the 700R4s from the late '80's V6 Camaro's will bolt up to the supercharged 3800 V6 used in Pontiac Boneville SSEI and others. If so, that would make a fantastic swap, one I have been considering for my 1966 Vauxhall Envoy Epic wagon.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Lil Big Mec said:
I'm not positive, but I think the 700R4s from the late '80's V6 Camaro's will bolt up to the supercharged 3800 V6 used in Pontiac Boneville SSEI and others. If so, that would make a fantastic swap, one I have been considering for my 1966 Vauxhall Envoy Epic wagon.
Converting the FWD 3800's to RWD is a pain. I love 4.3's but performance intakes and cams are $$$$, if you DO go that route and bore it buy a piston & ring set for a 350, same pistons but the set of 8 is often sold cheaper, volume packaging.... :pain: If you decide to build a supercharged or turbo 4.3 or just want to keep compression down to run on cat pee gas and need to bore it PM me, I can fix you up with .030" over TRW blower pistons. :mwink: I bought a 2nd hand NIB set for a 350 and ended up with a set for a 4.3 and two very expensive "ash trays". Two of the pistons got together in the box and electrolysis set in....... :(

Personally I would look at a 3.4 V-6 out of a late 90's Camaro. They are smaller externally than a 4.3, definitely narrower, have a decent aftermarket and are easy to find along with a 700R4 or 5 speed whichever you prefer. They actually don't run half bad and in that little Volvo should run real good. A friend has a 3.4 Camaro he lets his girl friend race while he's running his 9 second Nova and with a few minor tuning tweaks it was running low 16's. Not "fast" but I was VERY surprised it ran that well. I'd be interested to see what it could do with a cold air intake, good exhaust and some lower gears. It will actually do a decent little burnout!

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Think Buick....

I've been doing Turbo Buick swaps for several years for many reasons. You can pick the engine/trans up fairly cheap and leave it stock till you feel the need for more power and then simply bolt on parts for more power.
The stock engine can handle 11's and 10's with a good safe tune and good aftermarket turbo/intercooler/injectors ect.
You can find more information and help on these two sites under "Hybrids"
www.turbobuick.com
www.turbobuicks.com

Or e-mail me anytime.
[email protected]

Here's how a buick engine looks in a 87 LX Mustang :)

Attachments

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
I don't know much about the 122, but here are a few thoughts.

Isn't the 122 a 4 cyl normally? I assume that means that the engine compartment is both short and narrow. Have you considered a newer DOHC 4 cyl? The GM Ecotec has an aftermarket supercharger setup available and puts out something like 260 HP (220 or so in the Cobalt SS). The same engine is also now available with a turbo and RWD in the Solstice/Sky. You can get RWD bellhousings and transmissions.

Another option might be the Vortec DOHC 5 cylinder from the Colorado/Canyon trucks and the H3. The early versions put out 220 HP or so and the later ones have been bumped in horsepower. Torque will be higher than with the Ecotec, which might be an advantage. As a dirt-cheap solution, consider an Olds Quad 4. Mantaparts and Quad4rods both sell performance parts and the latter also sells RWD conversion bellhousings.

If you have your heart set on a V8, I'd go with the Buick/Olds aluminum 215. These engines weigh only 320 lbs fully dressed and are very compact. Even though they were built in the early 60s, parts and complete engines are still pretty common on ebay. D&D Fabrications in Michigan sells parts and conversion bellhousings. This is the same engine that was sold to the brits and used in Rovers and Land Rovers. I recently found an injected 4.0 liter version in a Discovery in a wrecking yard.

For a really dare-to-be-different choice, how about the 60 degree V8 used in the new Volvo S90? That's a very compact engine and you keep it all in the family. That engine is based on the second-gen SHO Taurus motor, which might also be a good choice. The first-gen SHO V6 is also an option. Most DOHC V8s are very wide, but a 60 degree version might fit just fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that I am going to run with a GM V6 out of an Astro, S10 or Blazer. My question is do they sell an intake manifold that will bolt up the vortec heads. I want to get an old block and bolt some newer vortec 4.3 heads on it with a carb on top. Do they sell those?

I also figure that I can get another high performance cam too. I am hoping for upwards of 200-250 HP. I think anything beyond that would get quite scary in that little car.....maybe it is time to think about updating my suspension and steering.

Thanks for all the help....again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.