Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all you hot rodders, I just wanted to throw a question out there for someone to answer. I'm thinking of putting a small block chevy in a 53 chevy, and I'm trying to get by with as little work as possible, but, can you mate a standard v8 bellhousing with a 53 chevy 3spd transmission, in order to use the original closed driveshaft and rearend? Hope this isn't too hard to answer, and by the way Merry Christmas.:confused:

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Would recommend against it though...................the 6 cyl tranny and rear end are not going to hold up. It's not that big a deal to put a later tranny and rear end in it. Takes a bit of welding though (spring perches etc)

·
Registered
36 Posts
i am in total agreement with you on this one kirk. the rear might not do real well with a newer engine.

only reason i even knew it might be doable is i had looked into putting an aod tranny behind my stock 223cid i now have in my '54 Tudor

i do think the tranny would hold up to the SBC, as long as it isnt a radical HP motor that is, and there are a few truck shifter kits that can be used to convert the 3 onna tree to a floor shift

the reason i say the tranny might do alright, is that, on the fords at least, they were capable of dealing with 180-210 HP back in the day, and i would think a 305 or, mild 327 wouldnt completely destroy that gearbox. the weakest link in an older driveline is going to be the driveshaft/u-joints anyhow ist it?

that said, i am no expert, and i myself have since decided against keeping the stock driveline. not for any real fear of grenading the stuff, but if i am 500 miles from home on a road trip or car show... i want to be able to stop in at the nearest pep boyz, or checker and get new parts so i can get home without the aid of a trailer :)

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
Your trans is what? Probably an SM318, ring slider. They were not known for durability, as several old rodders have told me stories of shelling them out, under heavy accelleration, with an old 6-banger, even.
The only thing good about the whole setup, is that you probably have 4.11's in the TT rearend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.