Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a retired Master Mechanic trained at the GM Factory.
I greatly prefer FORD over GM,
I started working on cars when I was 12, back in 1962, which makes me 71 Years Young, but I feel and act 30-40.
Over the years, I have built many Hot Rod's and Custom Cars.
Right now, I am building a Boss 302 Crate Race Engine to place in a 1959 VOLVO, yes a Volvo.

Why?
I had build an 1959 Volvo pv544 back in 1971 with a real surplus Le Mans 289 Racing Engine, yes, I got lucky on that buy.
The car only weighs 2072 pounds, but it was the first car to have factory shoulder harness seat belt, crush zones, and a uni-body roll cage built in.
My target finished weight is 2200 pounds which should yield 4.8 pounds per horsepower.
Rocket Bikes, look out, LOL.

The Factory rear end would take the power just fine unless you bang shifted it, then the spider gears would fail, but only the spider gears.
Even with 10" slicks, you could lay rubber shifting into 4th. above 100 MPH.
The car handled great, and performed even better.

It's best track time was 10.5 @ 134 MPH.

The car was too much fun, so I wanted to build one more.

The first car I raced with the old Volvo build, was a HEMI Road Runner 4 speed, it wasn't even close.
I had this car when I was in College, so the news spread fast.

I drove a totally restored 1966 Mustang Fastback 289 HP for many years, as a daily driver, a great car, but after 248,000 miles on it, I let it go to another MUSTANG Enthusiast.
I wanted a new saddle, my wife will only let me have 2 toys at a time, she says that I'm too old (71) to have more than that. LOL.

I have had too many cars to mention usually 5-7 at one time, all fast cars, several brands, and all sleepers.

This 1959 Volvo pv544 only has 46,000 miles on it, all original, it had never been rebuilt.
It has all of the oil change stickers on the door post as part of its documentation on the dates and miles.
This way, I wont have to rebuild the body, just add the right Hot Rod Parts, then have fun.
This time I will add a custom built 8.8 narrowed rear end with 4:56 gears, locker, to prevent breaking the occasional spider gear.
I have an Paxton Supercharger wanting to sit on top of this engine, to yield about 450 HP.
Followed with an Top Loader Close Ratio Transmission, to select the excitement.
The Volvo in these pictures are as I bought it,

I will add the engine pictures after painting and fitting of the alternator, I am waiting on a Eldenbrock Performer RPM Air Gap Intake Manifold to arrive.
The Supercharger will be added later

Yes, the car in the background, is a Dodge HEMI Magnum, that;s been tweaked, a real fun, fast, daily driver.

Also, I am teaching an aprentice mechnic while we build this Hot Rod, so he learns everything from bumper to bumper, how to, and why.

Questions or comments: [email protected]

I
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Car seat cover

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Welcome!
We have a few things in common.
Age, likes the old Volvo’s, a hemi wagon (I had a v6 2005 magnum and a 2006 hemi Daytona) and the first motor I helped work on was a sohc 427.
‘Thanks for the pics!

you should delete your email.
scammers like that.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
I owned a PV544 once with a v6. It was an amazingly fast car and fun as can be. Unfortunately as I was making a left turn one day a motorcycle tried to pass me on the left at the same time and hit the car right where the front fender attaches to the body and removed the front end, ending the life of the car. I always wanted to put a v8 in another PV544 but time moves to fast and I never did do one. I am looking forward to seeing the details of your car. That is a nice looking Volvo you have there and I bet it is a barrel of fun! I always liked the body style of that model...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I owned a PV544 once with a v6. It was an amazingly fast car and fun as can be. Unfortunately as I was making a left turn one day a motorcycle tried to pass me on the left at the same time and hit the car right where the front fender attaches to the body and removed the front end, ending the life of the car. I always wanted to put a v8 in another PV544 but time moves to fast and I never did do one. I am looking forward to seeing the details of your car. That is a nice looking Volvo you have there and I bet it is a barrel of fun! I always liked the body style of that model...
Maybe a sub frame connected frame, would solve part of that problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts