Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chevy 350 has been driving like its out of gas for the past week. At first it would get up to around 65 mph and start to sputter. Now it wont go faster than 15 mph. When doing some trouble shooting, i disconnected the vaccuum advance from the carburetor and there was no change in rpm at all. Whats the problem here?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My chevy 350 has been driving like its out of gas for the past week. At first it would get up to around 65 mph and start to sputter. Now it wont go faster than 15 mph. When doing some trouble shooting, i disconnected the vaccuum advance from the carburetor and there was no change in rpm at all. Whats the problem here?

lets do some trouble shooting..

disconnect the red wire going into the distributor cap.. under the word BAT.. this will prevent the ignition from sparking..

disconnect the fuel line going into the edelbrock carb.. try blowing into it.. you should not be able to blow into the fuel line. stick the end of the fuel line into a clean clear 2 liter soda bottle.. have a friend crank the engine for 15 seconds while you observe the pulses of fuel.. each should be full and the same as the others.. in 15 seconds you should have at least a pint of gasoline. check it for color... check it for sediment.

if you can blow bubbles in the gas tank backwards thru the pump.. you need another fuel filter just before the pump.. something in the 10 micron filter range.. i use the big bulky 1990 ford ranger fuel filters.. in a loop of fuel hose coming into the pump.. i do the full flow test 2 more times. then i hook up the carb.. hook the HEI back up.. get the engine started.. bring it to a 2000 rpms.. use a pair of long nose pliers to squeeze the new section of fuel line between the filter and the pump inlet closed.. when the carb is almost empty and the RPMs start to drop. release the pliers.. this will let the fuel pump push fuel thru the wide open needle and seats.. i usually do this twice also..

i wonder.. what is happening..

have you had a look inside the distributor.. checked the ignition rotor for signs of burn thru.. checked the inside of the cap for signs of burning. pulled the cover off the top of the cap and checked for signs of high voltage leaks from the sides of the coil windings..

with a bright flashlight.. and the rotor off. examine the sides of the pickup coil.. if the second layer is broken.. it won't create a proper wave form for the module to create proper spark.. check the end of the wires coming out of the pickup coil where they attach to the ignition module.. if the grease has turned green.. you are in trouble and its going to require some cleaning and perhaps some parts to be replaced.. like the pickup coil..

warning.. if you have to remove the module from the distributor.. you will need dielectric tune up grease to go under the middle of the module to allow the heat to be transferred out to the housing..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Carb Loading Up

I had a problem with my truck acting like the carb was loading up when it was cruising along at a steady speed. It turns out that there were two problems. The first problem was that the Vacuum Advance was bad. The second problem was the intake. The truck (1979 350 Chevy 4 bolt main engine with a Holley 4150 4 barrel sitting on a Eldebrock Victor Jr. intake). We also changed the intake with a Weiand Street Warrior Dual Pane intake. Now it runs fine'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts