Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a very big cam, it's a hydraulic roller rocker just under .6" lift. I have no more vacuum in my engine, my brake pedal is super stiff, it's ridiculous. The lines are still connected to the engine, I even have a vacuum canister now, what else can I do to help this? I wouldnt mind if it was a pure drag car, but this is my street car.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
I can give you a suggestion, my car has 6/7 bouncing inches of vacuum at idle . The cam is the reason for me, I installed an electric vacuum pump sold by Master Power Brakes, the reason I used theirs is because the pump cycles on/off as the vacuum is needed. Other pumps and I believe there is only one other brand runs continuously. Now the bad news maybe , they are not cheep plan on paying 250.00 or so. lumpy cams / low vacuum , is a common problem this is the work around.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
A hydro-boost brake system will work well if you're willing to dish out several hundred $$ for the setup. It uses pressure from the power steering pump. You can get much higher braking pressure with a setup like this than with a vacuum canister. I know a lot of the GM trucks have this and I've seen some diesel powered Ford Super Dutys with it as well. It's expensive but works very well.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Just another option that I thought you may want to be aware of. The electric pump that pepi suggested sounds like an interesting idea. Check to see if your current power booster is holding vacuum. Also remember that hot rodding can be an expensive hobby and sometimes you have to spend a little more money than you care to in order to do it right and have something that will function properly and last a long time.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Blazin72 said:
A hydro-boost brake system will work well if you're willing to dish out several hundred $$ for the setup. It uses pressure from the power steering pump. You can get much higher braking pressure with a setup like this than with a vacuum canister. I know a lot of the GM trucks have this and I've seen some diesel powered Ford Super Dutys with it as well. It's expensive but works very well.
diesels need them, unless they have a vac pump as diesels make no vacume.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
thats actually a pretty good size cam, i have one smaller than yours its a .480/.480, 231/231 duration at .050 lift cam in a 388 stroker sbc and i have pretty crappy brakes as well, its an automatic and i have to manually downshift it to slow down fast enough most of the time, lumpy cams give good power and sounds but kill vaccume

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
It's simple. You have 12* overlap at .050. I bet you have a single plane intake too.

If you didn't have that excessively wide LSA it would idle like a top fuel dragster.

You just way overcammed it.

Cheap way out...... Manual brakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.