Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a while back I read a post where a member asked about running holleys mounted sideways on a tunnel ram. someone responded that to do this the linkage had to be 1:1 and they had to be mechanical secondaries or the left half of the engine bank would run lean (I've searched for this post but can't seem to find it again). anyways, I just looked at my buddies boat, and maybe boats are different but I can't image why they would be, but he is running two 750's with vacuum secondaries mounted sideways. this is what came on the boat when he bought it so he doesn't know much about them. I've been in the boat and it runs great and is faster than hell, so what gives? can you run vacuum secondaries on sideways mounted carbs or not? I'm not going to tell my bud he's got it wrong; but, I'm in the process of setting up a similar piece on my car and I would like to know what my options are. I dont want to start another debate on tunnel rams (people seem to either love 'em or hate 'em), I just want to know if I have the option of running vacuum secondaries.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Not 100% But this is what makes sense to me. The only way I think that could be wrong is if its a dual plane manifold. If you dont have the squirters going on the other side of the plane you wouldnt have any fuel unless you had a mechanical carb with the secondaries opening with the primaries(1:1). But I dont see how this could happen in a tunnel as it would usually be open plenum.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I agree with deathrattle, an open plenum which most tunnel rams are won't be affected. There were some IR(independent runner) tunnel rams available at one time, but they are not as common as a typical open plenum style.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts