Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just traded for a 1973 Ford F100 Ranger, 2WD, short bed, 289 HI PO, 3 spd on the column. The truck has 149,000 miles on it I believe...odometer says 49,###. From the cab up the body is in excellent condition...paint is in pretty good condition other than a couple small surface rust spots and two primer spots. The bed isn't in the WORST shape...it has some putty in it, though you wouldn't be able to tell if it weren't for a crack around where the gas cap goes and a small crack behind the driver's side rear tire. The interior is in pretty good shape...headliner looks great, only one wear spot in the seat...dash is glossy, but the door panels were painted at one time and there are lines and imperfections under the paint. I was actually supprised by the condition of the truck. I traded a 1994 Plymouth Laser with 175K miles on it...needed an axle, tires, and had a dent on every removable panel. I had around $900 in the car...kinda figured this truck would be worth a lot more, as my girlfriend's dad told me the 289 HI PO was worth a good bit by itself. I believe he said that the particular engine in this truck was only made for a couple years. Could anybody give me a rough estimate on what this thing is worth? I can take some pics of it tomorrow to give a better idea of the condition. Thanks ahead of time.

Paul

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I would say it is worth at least what you had in the Laser.......................10 years from now, it will be about 10X what the Laser is worth.

3,214 Posts
If it is actually a HI PO 289, I doubt that it is original. I believe that they were discontinued after 1968. As for t=what the truck is worth, you probably came out alright, as trucks hold some value in what ever condition they are in.

Something to look at on that truck. Check the area above the rear wheels. They are known for rusting out in that area.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
Sell the engine, swap in a running junkyard engine (352, 302, whatever would bolt right in) and sell the truck.:thumbup:

I'd say 6-800 for the truck, and assuming it's a 289 HiPo, that has to be worth some $$, a few hundred at least I think. Maybe up to a grand. I dunno.

I wish you luck;)
matt

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If it is a true 289 HiPo as in from a K code car, it is worth considerbly more that you have into the truck. You will need to do some research on the casting numbers to find out for sure. Unfortunately the word "HiPo" gets hung on just about any 289 that had a hotter cam and 4 barrel stuck on it. The real HiPos have different stuff in them which is unique.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.