Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
What is best way to determine ( 0 ) lash and adjust valves in Hydraulic lifter S/B Chevy?
Here's a page that outlines the procedure, along w/other related info and links.

Finding zero lash is easier to do if you jiggle the push rod up and down instead of twisting it between the thumb and fingers. The problem w/twisting is the lifter plunger can be compressed past zero lash and you won't feel it in some cases- especially if the lifters haven't been pumped up yet.

·
Banned
256 Posts
Here's a page that outlines the procedure, along w/other related info and links.

Finding zero lash is easier to do if you jiggle the push rod up and down instead of twisting it between the thumb and fingers. The problem w/twisting is the lifter plunger can be compressed past zero lash and you won't feel it in some cases- especially if the lifters haven't been pumped up yet.
and why the ole timers say to drop the lifters into a coffee can of oil overnight..

I do the up and down method but once started and cam broken in.. pull the valvecovers and while running back off the rocker one at a time, when I start to get a tick, I stop and tight'n 1/4-1/3rd turn.. its messy, but gets the most out of the hyd cam..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We used the twisting method to determine zero lash and it didn't seem to work. The engine had back fire through the throttle body which we think means the intake valves were adjusted too far and spit the fuel back. Going to try the up & down method today and hope for good results. Thanks.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
We used the twisting method to determine zero lash and it didn't seem to work. The engine had back fire through the throttle body which we think means the intake valves were adjusted too far and spit the fuel back. Going to try the up & down method today and hope for good results. Thanks.
Unless you really tighted down the rocker, I doubt this is your problem. Hydraulic lifters can take quite a bit of preload, solid lifters won't. Sounds more like a timing issue. Of course, double or triple checking valve lash is always advisable in any event. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all replies. Got them adjusted today. My son was doing the adjusting and has never done it before. he was preloading the lifters too much and then when he adjusted the valves they were too tight. re-adjusted them today, making sure of zero lash before and then adjusted them 1/2 turn down. Started fine and runs great. I should have done it from the first...Ha,Ha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
valve adjustment

My son had never done this on an engine before and he said it's the last time..Ha,Ha. He is 46 and a systems engineer on computerized lathes, etc, installing, troubleshooting and repairing them but never done much engine work. He learned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.