Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info regarding valve seal removal and installation. What is best way (tools) to do this. Can I reuse the existing seal? I am removing because I am changing to a different spring seat. From what I have read likely not because they get damaged during removal. The heads are AFR 245 on 434 small block.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Generally , the seals are damaged during removal , beyond that different tools & procedures for different seals .

·
******* Professional
1,216 Posts
Generally , the seals are damaged during removal , beyond that different tools & procedures for different seals .
Yep, they catch on the sharp steps for the valve locks when they come off. Going on you use a plastic sleeve over the valve stem and slide them over - but that's a one-way trip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, they catch on the sharp steps for the valve locks when they come off. Going on you use a plastic sleeve over the valve stem and slide them over - but that's a one-way trip.
What is used to pull them off? I see there are special tools for this but I see videos where they just pry them off.

·
******* Professional
1,216 Posts
What is used to pull them off? I see there are special tools for this but I see videos where they just pry them off.
On my AFR heads they came off fairly easy with a twist using my fingers IIRC. But I replaced them. Not familiar with the tools to save them. I'm sure you can probably buy a lot of seals for the price of the tools.

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
Way better to replace them, they are not expensive but the trouble they can cause with oil leakage down the valve guide ends with nearly the same job you are doing to replace the spring seats. The seals do wear out in service and are subject to damage on the sharp edge of the stem lock grooves at removal.

Bogie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for info regarding valve seal removal and installation. What is best way (tools) to do this. Can I reuse the existing seal? I am removing because I am changing to a different spring seat. From what I have read likely not because they get damaged during removal. The heads are AFR 245 on 434 small block.

Thanks!!
If you’ve got those nitrile seals, you can kinda just pry from the base with a decently wide flat blade screwdriver, and then just pull by hand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you’ve got those nitrile seals, you can kinda just pry from the base with a decently wide flat blade screwdriver, and then just pull by hand.
Yes, I believe that is what they are. They are blue. Shame I have to trash them. I ordered new seals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure you've heard , we live in a throw away world !
Probably just hang onto to them if they look ok like I do everything else and 2 years down the road, look at them and wonder where the heck they came from..... to many cars.... to many old parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey guy we talked before on your spring issue.if you mind what did you decide to do? im interested in case i run into the same problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts