Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..
my 84 2.5ltr fiero(iron duke) stop laff'n..
does the valve seal shuffle.. start it, puff then fine.. gets about 3/4 quart low between oil changes..
now here's the question.. dry starts are the #1 enemy of an engine, other than the carbon the oil leaves behind from being burnt, that a seafoam treatment will fix.. whats the down side.. (I can see it now, the crazy look on everyones face) but my 89 grand mark went 460k while I owned it.. and now has 1233k on it. and the valve seals leaked from like 65k on..
does the oil in the cyl. help more than hurt..??

yes I do have the new seals ready to go.. but I've always wondered.. other than the carbon issue.. what good/harm it go to just leave it be..
now understand this is a dailydriver not a get every once of power out of it..
thoughts?

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil isn't made to burn like gasoline does. If there is enough oil in the cylinder when you start it up there is a chance the oil won't all come out immediately, leaving hot oil residue in the cylinder and can cause preignition. You'll also get a nice layer of gunk around your exhaust valves over time. There's a reason they don't build cars with leaky valve seals. Your cat(s) if still there, will get clogged up too.
About the seafoam, it's probably not a good idea to use it in the oil of a higher mileage engine since it can cause gaskets to start leaking.
the seafoam I was talking about is the one that you send down the intake inlet, other than the tbi base gasket.. there's not much in way of gaskets..
I'll be changing the seals soon.. and it will be getting the seafoam smokeshow.. to clean out most if not all the crap.. then oil change..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.