Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up some springs for a friend with aluminum heads but he is running a pretty small cam, which calls for some single springs of 80 pounds installed height and about 235 pounds open. I have some springs here that are dual and to much pressure, but when I take out the inner spring and test to installed height I get the installed and open pressure that I am looking for, so can I use the dual springs without the inner spring for now? Also I assume that when you Mic to get the installed height I must include the 60 thou shim that is used to protect the aluminum below the spring.

Thanks
Ken

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
springs

Yes, you check the installed height between the steel spring seat and the reatiner. Not the aluminum head and the retainer.

You should have no problems running that spring with the center spring removed, But i would get an OD style spring seat to locate the spring. Unless the head is cut for the same diameter spring that you are running.

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Keith. The plan was to use the 60 thou seat spring cups that came with the dual springs and retainers, I think that is what you mean by OD style spring seat right and not just a regular shim under the spring? Also I assume I can leave the dampner with the outer spring and just remove the inner correct ?

k-star said:
Yes, you check the installed height between the steel spring seat and the reatiner. Not the aluminum head and the retainer.

You should have no problems running that spring with the center spring removed, But i would get an OD style spring seat to locate the spring. Unless the head is cut for the same diameter spring that you are running.

Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.