Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats going on , First time engine builder and need a few questions answered.

When you pull off valve springs I know you need to move the pistion to the top and pressurize the cylinder, but how much pressure do I use (PSI) to keep the valve from falling down and not blow anything up.

Secondly, to get the keepers out do I just compress the spring with the tool and pull them out or is there another process of getting them out as well.

THanks for all your help in advance

-J

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,806 Posts
100 pounds is fine. 75 pounds min.

Use the compressor to squash the spring then use a magnet on a stick to remove the keepers and slowly remove the compressor. Use a little chassis grease to hold the keepers in place while you decompress the spring. Then smack it with either a rubber mallat or plastic hammer to ensur they are seated enough. Don't stick you head above the spring so if it were to come apart the retainer won't hit you, knocking you out, then scraping the paint from the fender as you slide down it to the floor covered in black gooey used oil you haven't cleaned up from last year.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Angelshock23 said:

When you pull off valve springs I know you need to move the pistion to the top and pressurize the cylinder,
-J
Move the piston to the BOTTOM of the stroke. Otherwise when you apply the air pressure it will rotate the crank and force the piston to the bottom. Repeat for each cylinder.

The advise already given on removing the retainers is excellent.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
SPRINGS

More food for thought.

You may have a problem getting the retainer to release the keepers. I have had some that are very stubborn...
After getting the engine to TDC and the rockers removed tap the retainers with a hard plastic mallett to help shock the keepers so they won't be so hard to get released. Then you can hook up your air. If you still have problems with them releasing you can move the engine off of TDC and push a length of rope into the cylinder then carefully rotate the engine back untill it stops.... DO NOT FORCE IT.... This way the valve will be resting on the rope and you can tap the Retainer to release the keepers.... I always do this with the engine at TDC that way if something happens to the air the valve will not drop into the cylinder...... It will rest on the piston top and can be retreived......

Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I go the compressor route I should use 100 PSI and the piston should be all the way at bottom correct?
Tap the retainer to loosen the keepers
Compress the spring
USe a magnet the pull the retainers out
THen pull the spring out

Hope I got the order right

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Angelshock23 said:
So if I go the compressor route I should use 100 PSI and the piston should be all the way at bottom correct?
Tap the retainer to loosen the keepers
Compress the spring
USe a magnet the pull the retainers out
THen pull the spring out

Hope I got the order right
Sounds like you're ready to go!:thumbup:

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
If you have all the plugs out, it will get there real fast! Just be alert to anything that might fly in your direction like a crank or flywheel turner.

I use a deep socket to tap the retainers and loosen the keepers before removal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool,

Thanks allot guys I really appreciate all the help. It's nice to find a place where people actually know what they are talking about.

THanks Again
J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts