Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone from a new guy on the forum!

I own a '61 comet with a modified Ford 200 inline six. I estimate it develops around 175 hp with 9.5 to one compression; more if I raise it to 10 to one. I am running three progressive single barrel carburetors and a Mallory dual point distributer, mechanical advance. It idles around 750 rpm.

With the stock radiator it runs cool on the highway but heats up in traffic. I am running a tuned exhaust with twin collector boxes and dual exhaust. The engine sounds real good, but there is a loud clicking noise that seems to be coming from the valve cover area. It could be exhaust leaks from the headers, but the high lift Clifford 270 cam could be generating valve noise. The engine does not ping under load. I am running zinc additive for the cam and lead substitute for the valves. I run regular unleaded gas.

I was thinking about making the car more driveable for long trips, and I want to make sure that the clicking noise is fixed. I do my own engine work, and could replace the cam over the winter, and possible go to a vacuum advance electronic distributer. I could go with an electric cooling fan in front of the radiator. I was also thinking about raising the compression up to 10 to one: it is torque that I am after, not rpm. If I drag race the car I will probably break the Dagenham 4 speed transmissioin.

By the way, I installed the camshaft kit from Clifford that includes their hydraulic lifters, pushrods, springs, retainers and keepers. I double checked all adjustments, valve timing, checked for coil bind and needed one .016 shim for 92 pounds spring force on all valves at the installed height. I am running adjustable stock rocker arms adjusted one half turn beyond the zero lash point.

Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Jim

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
try sealing he area on outside edge of rad? Lots of air can go around the outside edge instead of through the rad. A soft rubber flap might be all you need.
Have you ever considered less cam,less compression and a turbo? A single 4 bbl would be a better choice with a turbo

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
noise

if u are running headers they sometimes make a clicking noise that'll drive u crazy. the other is pull valve cover and put a heavy finger on ea rocker to see if it quiets down. maybe a collapsed lifter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2old2fast, good point. I don't remember checking the valve stem heights. I might have trusted the guy who did the valve job. I did check the valve spring installed heights and loads, which varied from 92 to 93 pounds when I was done shimming and swapping springs & retainers. I lucky to be able to check the spring heights at 90 and 150 pounds applied load using a fancy machine at work. The rest was arithmetic.

I bought a set of adjustable rocker arms, and they seem to be a little loose on the shaft. I went over all of the lifters yesterday by turning the screws 3/4 turn past the zero clearance point. I was careful to do this slowly. I'll let you know the results when I'm done with the major tuneup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delawarebill, thanks for the advice. I plan to recheck for leaks with a paper flag on a stick. I'm tired of 3rd degree burns! By the way, there is a slip joint on these headers, it's at #4 I think. There is a leak there for sure. I plan to use some kind of stepped clamp to seal it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts