Hot Rod Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,894 Posts
Lift and spring look fine from my house, I’ll keep an eye out for the retainers flying overhead if you plan to leave the keepers that way.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Ok ill double check them - these are my valves:

Elgin HPv14 for small block chevy:
HPV-14 2.020 0.3415 5.025 +0.100” Int Undercut Yes.

Retainers (from alex parts):
Beehive Valve Spring Retainers for 7 Degree 11/32" Applications, 16- 787

Keepers:
Locks, Keepers, Hardened 11/32" X 7 Degree, .050" Up Locks, Raises Retainer Higher

They are all matched for a 11/32 7 degree setup (stock sbc).

Lift and spring look fine from my house, I’ll keep an eye out for the retainers flying overhead if you plan to leave the keepers that way.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
This a good read and I'm a little late to be throwing in on it, but YIKES - those keepers are not installed in the valve groove completely or you have the wrong keepers for your valves. Either way - stand back if they all look like that.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,894 Posts
Ok ill double check them - these are my valves:

Elgin HPv14 for small block chevy:
HPV-14 2.020 0.3415 5.025 +0.100” Int Undercut Yes.

Retainers (from alex parts):
Beehive Valve Spring Retainers for 7 Degree 11/32" Applications, 16- 787

Keepers:
Locks, Keepers, Hardened 11/32" X 7 Degree, .050" Up Locks, Raises Retainer Higher

They are all matched for a 11/32 7 degree setup (stock sbc).
Looks like you have the right locks and retainers. You have them installed wrong. From the picture, they don't look like that are seated in grooves properly. The tops of the keepers will be DARN CLOSE to level with the retainers. Yours look like they are sitting high and crooked.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
When I'm home later I'll pop one out and re check.. never had an issue and prob my 100th motor I've assembled but hey first time for everything :)

Cameras do tend to skew pics, so far everything looked good to me..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Fiddled and checked and nothing changing.. they are snug as can be. Compared them to a set of keepers i just took off my 400hp camaro which I've been thrashing on for 8 years, 3 cross country trips, they look identical.

Fwiw both were Alex parts keepers too..

Best true side shot i could get.. I still don't see any issues. Single groove valve, everything fits right far as I know.. what aspect of my pics look out to you? Crooked keeper angle or what?

Keepers are still crooked and not sitting right.

·
******* Professional
1,166 Posts
The centers of the valve keepers are definitely tipped out in the photo with the spring in post 65. Notice that the sides are higher than the center of the keeper.

The one in this post looks better, but no spring is installed (no pressure to bend the keeper - they will flex some you know). I think the angle with either the keeper or the retainer is probably wrong. Looks like the keepers are not standard Comp Cams issue, so I would start there. Got some old keepers?

·
******* Professional
1,166 Posts

On yours it appears the center of each keeper is pulling away from the valve stem when under spring pressure. Like contact with retainer is at very bottom and top of keeper is rocking out to fill a different angle retainer.

Maybe they gave you the wrong keepers or retainers. It has happened before.

Once the keepers fit right it may be possible that you don't need the +0.050 locks.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
i can check them again - i have a bag of comp keepers but they dont have the 50 thou extra i need for correct spring height... i got these new from alex parts- I did notice what you are referring too, even in my hand i saw it happen, maybe there was a small piece of dirt there, ill blow it out again with brake cleaner and check..

·
******* Professional
1,166 Posts
I made some more comments above when you posted. Maybe you dont really need the +0.050 keepers.

I think evidence of hitting at bottom first would indicate the retainer is at higher angle than the keeper! So maybe retainer is not really at 7 degree. Something else to check.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
A bazillion years ago I was taught to tap the top of the valves with a small lead or brass hammer to seat the keepers in the retainers , still do it . I one of those pics , it appears that the front keeper is deeper than the rear ....???

·
******* Professional
1,166 Posts
If the retainers/keepers seat better the retainers will sit higher and so will the valve spring. Link to photo i posted did not show the keepers sitting quite that low in the retainers but the centers of the keepers were even with the ends and not crooked.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Ok - I see, so you arent as worried about the keeper height as much as the crooked one in the pic? Ok - I can run thru them all and double check.. I did read on alex parts stuff and the spring parts are all made by pac in the US who supply most of the companies so im not too worried about the quality-

Ill check again 2moro when theres is new light -

*** On another note, Ive always installed the keepers with the half moons cupping in the angle of the valve/force - not like the picture u showed, ive always thought the angular force would try push into the groove - so I space them evenly-ish and put the half moons facing the intake and exhaust side of the (chevy) v8 head- if that make sense..

thanks for the concern and being persistent- better to catch it now than later, plus im not in a rush either so all good. Ill update 2moro -

gnite

If the retainers/keepers seat better the retainers will sit higher and so will the valve spring. Link to photo i posted did not show the keepers sitting quite that low in the retainers but the centers of the keepers were even with the ends and not crooked.

·
******* Professional
1,166 Posts
A bazillion years ago I was taught to tap the top of the valves with a small lead or brass hammer to seat the keepers in the retainers , still do it . I one of those pics , it appears that the front keeper is deeper than the rear ....???
Yep i hit mine with a dead blow hammer so the valve comes off of its seat and then snaps back.

·
******* Professional
1,166 Posts
Ok - I see, so you arent as worried about the keeper height as much as the crooked one in the pic? Ok - I can run thru them all and double check.. I did read on alex parts stuff and the spring parts are all made by pac in the US who supply most of the companies so im not too worried about the quality-

Ill check again 2moro when theres is new light -

thanks for the concern and being persistent- better to catch it now than later, plus im not in a rush either so all good. Ill update 2moro -

gnite
Exactly. Good luck. Keep us posted.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts