Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 mustang original 289 2v. It is vapor locking every time i drive. I changed carb. worked on metal line from tank, changed fuel pump, got rid of metal line from pump to carb, went from mechanical pump to blue holley electric. guess what, it still vapor lockes!!!!
Please help!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fairlane999 - what are the symptoms that lead you to believe it is vapor lock and not something else? It there some place along the fuel trail where it gets exceptionally hot (causing the vapor)? By the way, do you have a vented gas cap?
When they get blocked, you will sometimes get the same effect as vapor lock, because the tank starts to build a vacuum, keeping the fuel from flowing as it should.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would concur with jenkinra as a starting point, however if that dose'nt produce the culprit then I would start lookin for a carb riser gasket (carb base gasket between 1/2"-1" thick) you should be able to find somethin at your local NAPA. I would take the current gasket to match somethin as I doubt that you'll find one for that specific application.The object here is to raise the carb up from the intake to escape some of the direct engine heat which will cause your fuel to boil in the bowl and thus cause a vaporlock condition.......good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts