Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im new and am having some electrical trouble. I am doing an engine swap in a 94 Camaro from a v-6 to a v8 and am having some trouble. the car won't start. I think it could be the VATS deal but i am not sure. I am not using the original key from the v8 should i get a VATS bypass module?

·
Registered
380 Posts
What do you mean the engine wont start? Does it crank? do you have power? completely dead?

excerpt:
VATS is the abbreviation for "Vehicle Anti-Theft System." This was a system used on some GM cars as early as 1988, which used a resistor in the ignition key. When the key was put in the ignition, the system would look for a specific resistance value from the key. If the system saw the wrong resistance value, it would not let the engine start. Some '90-up TBI, all '90-'92 MAP TPI systems, all LT1 systems, and some MAF TPI systems had VATS. When an engine that had VATS is transplanted into another vehicle, the VATS system still operates if using the stock PROM chip. To get rid of VATS, a PROM chip that has had the VATS portion of it removed has to be substituted for the stock PROM. If you have a no-start problem with your new fuel injection system, and you have spark but no fuel, VATS could be your problem.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Computer chip restricts the fuel, i dont see how hard wiring the fuel pump to power would fix that?

All you have to do is test the resitance value of the key and get a resistor close to that value and put it inline with the ignition wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vats

the vats bypass did not work i took apart the computer and saw that some resistors had melted together. My computer is obd1 and someone is willing to sell me an obd2 computer for one hundred dollars. will this computer work for my application or is it not compatible. Also the computer needs to be flashed can a dealership do this without the entire car or would i need to connect it to the car and bring the whole thing to get it flashed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.